Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Confirms Hard Top Shortage

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep Confirms Hard Top Shortage

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/03/r...top-wranglers/

If there's one vehicle that has managed to persevere through Chrysler's ups and downs as of late, it's the Jeep Wrangler. This trusty off-roader is still the SUV of choice for enthusiasts who actually need true four-by-four capability, and its iconic design is still very well liked. However, the Wrangler is facing some troubles of its own, as many dealers are now reporting a shortage of hardtop models.

According to Automotive News, parent company Chrysler is stating that a "supplier constraint" is what's causing this overall shortage. Meridian Automotive Systems Inc., the company that originally manufactured the roof units for the Wrangler, filed for Chapter 7 liquidation last year, so production of the hardtops was shifted to a different supplier – Continental Structural Plastics Inc., located in Detroit. Chrysler says that tops are extremely complex to manufacturer, so the move in suppliers has put a significant dent in overall production.

In the meantime, Chrysler is urging dealers to order softtop Wranglers while it works with the new supplier to ramp up production of the hardtop units. During this shortage, we wouldn't be surprised if Wrangler sales dip slightly, since in most markets the vast majority of customers purchase the hardtop models.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I guess my dealer was right. Going on 10 weeks now for my 2010 factory order! Oh hard top, wherefore art thou, hard top???

Last edited by AV8R72; 03-03-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Ohhhh....Used Hardtops on the market....just increased 150%.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Former Member

This all happened back in August or something. We sell the Mopar Hardtops and they we told us they would not be available for another 6-12 months. They were only filling orders for ones ordered with them from the Factory, until they caught up with them, they would not have any available in the aftermarket. Thats the word I heard about 6-7 months ago.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bustabizz
This all happened back in August or something. We sell the Mopar Hardtops and they we told us they would not be available for another 6-12 months. They were only filling orders for ones ordered with them from the Factory, until they caught up with them, they would not have any available in the aftermarket. Thats the word I heard about 6-7 months ago.
Plus Jeep had to know that Meridian was circling the drain months prior to August.

In today's world of modern material and manufacturing process it seems somewhat unbelievable that they can 't find a suitable manufacturer.

Maybe the Jeep isn't so archaic technology wise.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Played the hardtop game for like 8 months. Eventually ordered one from 4WD... still took a while but not nearly as long as a Mopar top.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

So are the ones from Detroit the leaky models or were those the wones from the other place? Are the Detroit ones gonna have the Ultra-leak upgrade? you know, the ones where your ass gets REALLY wet like going down a waterslide?
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rawb77
So are the ones from Detroit the leaky models or were those the wones from the other place? Are the Detroit ones gonna have the Ultra-leak upgrade? you know, the ones where your ass gets REALLY wet like going down a waterslide?
mine doesn't leak at all...... wait I haven't put mine on in like two years.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by spinlock
Plus Jeep had to know that Meridian was circling the drain months prior to August.

In today's world of modern material and manufacturing process it seems somewhat unbelievable that they can 't find a suitable manufacturer.

Maybe the Jeep isn't so archaic technology wise.
Originally Posted by Rawb77

I have also heard that building hardtops is a very hard process as well. The Factory ones are built on the vehicles from what I hear. A large top company rep said they are impossible to fit correct sometimes because the tolerances on the JK is way more than more the YJ and TJ were. They have seen them a full inch out of square on the tub .
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Ill sell mine for 2 grand

Quick Reply: Jeep Confirms Hard Top Shortage