Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep got fixed from accident, now has rattle between 55-65.... Help?

Old 09-10-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep got fixed from accident, now has rattle between 55-65.... Help?

I just got my Jeep back from the body shop after they had it for over a month. Long story short, there is now a vibration between 55 and 65 MPH. It is coming from the front drivers side and the accident damaged the front passenger side. I went back to the body shop right away and they said it was probably a wheel issue and if I bring it back tomorrow morning, they'll rebalance it for me. Just out of curiosity I swapped that wheel with the spare and the vibration is still there. They replaced the front axle, track bar, and front right LCA, shock and spring. Does anyone know what this could be?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the front driveshaft and see if it goes away.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Pull the front driveshaft and see if it goes away.
I'm not doing anything, I'm taking it back to the shop and making them look at it. It drives perfectly up until 55 and the develops the vibration. I doubt they took it on a freeway before they gave it back to me. I also have to have them either fix or replace the drivers side fog light, since that is out as well and wasn't before. I just wanted to see if there is a simple reason for it, which there probably isn't.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any other ideas? I took it back and they said the tire was out of round, so I replaced it with the spare and still had no luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you feel the vibration with your hands or with your butt? Hands means a front wheel out of balance, thru your butt means a rear wheel. An out of round tire doesn't usually present itself in a ''vibration zone'', it feels wobbly at all speeds. An out of index driveshaft will usually present itself as a vibration constantly. You may be feeling a vibration from another tire masking itself as the left front. I do know as a bodyshop professional that your repair shop should NOT blow you off until the cause is found.....Contact your insurance company and advise them you are having issues you need assistance with, up to and including questioning whether the front axle and related parts were replaced as listed and/or tightened properly. They should have the vehicle reinspected to insure the parts were actually replaced and whether they were installed correctly. Sometimes during repairs tire/wheels are inadvertantly switched in position with an unnoticed damaged wheel/tire being installed on a different side of the vehicle, causing a vibration/ wobble where it shouldn't be, so have that looked at also....Best of luck! Have the axleshaft U-joints looked at to make sure a cap wasn't punched out by the impact....

Last edited by TINMAN080; 09-11-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Do you feel the vibration with your hands or with your butt? Hands means a front wheel out of balance, thru your butt means a rear wheel. An out of round tire doesn't usually present itself in a ''vibration zone'', it feels wobbly at all speeds. An out of index driveshaft will usually present itself as a vibration constantly. You may be feeling a vibration from another tire masking itself as the left front. I do know as a bodyshop professional that your repair shop should NOT blow you off until the cause is found.....Contact your insurance company and advise them you are having issues you need assistance with, up to and including questioning whether the front axle and related parts were replaced as listed and/or tightened properly. They should have the vehicle reinspected to insure the parts were actually replaced and whether they were installed correctly. Sometimes during repairs tire/wheels are inadvertantly switched in position with an unnoticed damaged wheel/tire being installed on a different side of the vehicle, causing a vibration/ wobble where it shouldn't be, so have that looked at also....Best of luck! Have the axleshaft U-joints looked at to make sure a cap wasn't punched out by the impact....
I can tell that they everything was replaced as I visited the body shop unexpectedly numerous times and saw work being done. Everything is perfect except the vibration, which is coming through the wheel. I'm getting new tires on Tuesday and if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll look at the drive shaft and see if it is a possibility. As for the insurance, they aren't much help since I'm not their insured driver and don't even use their company.

Quick Reply: Jeep got fixed from accident, now has rattle between 55-65.... Help?