Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JEEP or TRUCK?

Old 05-17-2014, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JEEP or TRUCK?

Okay guys and gals. I am new to this forum and this may have been asked before several times, but I am still getting used to navigating around the site. I do not own a Jeep yet. I used to own a 2005 Rubicon and loved it except for crappy mpg's and no room in it whatsoever. I am planning a vehicle purchase soon and am stuck between two: A 2012 or newer 4 door Rubicon or a 2011 or newer 4 door Tacoma. Now before anyone loses it, I am well aware that this is "JK FORUM" and everyone is a little biased. I am just not sure whether I will regret not having a truck when I purchase a 4 door Jeep. But every time I see a Jeep my little heart goes pitter patter LOL!! Any advice, selling points as to why the Jeep would be better, or just opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm. Do you need a truck?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get a jeep and a utility trailer. Last time I checked the top does not come off a Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-66962886.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	553633  
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have owned both and can tell you, I am a home owner with children and a boat and all of that. There are very few occasions that I find a bed would be useful, when that time arises I rent a trailer from uhaul for 30$ for the day and the rest of the time I'm not paying for useless space on my vehicle. Just my opinion.

Sent from somewhere I really shouldn't be!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

I seldom haul anything of any size. Nothing that a small trailer wouldn't handle. I guess I forgot to mention that. I hunt, the family camps and fishes. But no, I wouldn't say I "needed" a truck. A bed comes in handy every now and again , but......
Old 05-17-2014, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Trust your heart... I got rid of my "dream truck" f250 crew cab diesel 8'bed the whole nine yards to buy my second jeep. Ever since I got rid of my TJ I've always felt the heart flutter when a jeep went by. For the longest time I thought the unlimited were UGLY and not a "real" jeep. I have 3 boys and made up my mind to check out the 4 doors and see what the deal was. I found this forum and read a lot of info and arguments. And slowly the ugly 4 door was a beautiful answer to my prayers. It had room for my family and even some stuff, best part is it's still a JEEP!! Do yourself a favor come back to the jeep and for a few hundred bucks you can buy a small utility trailer to take the place of a truck!!!
But hey that's just my .02cents
Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trouty33
Trust your heart... I got rid of my "dream truck" f250 crew cab diesel 8'bed the whole nine yards to buy my second jeep. Ever since I got rid of my TJ I've always felt the heart flutter when a jeep went by. For the longest time I thought the unlimited were UGLY and not a "real" jeep. I have 3 boys and made up my mind to check out the 4 doors and see what the deal was. I found this forum and read a lot of info and arguments. And slowly the ugly 4 door was a beautiful answer to my prayers. It had room for my family and even some stuff, best part is it's still a JEEP!! Do yourself a favor come back to the jeep and for a few hundred bucks you can buy a small utility trailer to take the place of a truck!!!
But hey that's just my .02cents
Thanks. You know, that's kinda been my line of thinking, other than that 2 door Rubicon all I've owned were trucks. But thinking back, seldom had anything in the bed of them. Yet, since I sold that Jeep, it's never left me alone. I miss the Jeep. It was a fun vehicle. I didn't like when me, my wife, and two girls were in it that you didn't have room to change your mind, but the 4 doors have fixed that issue. I thought the 4 doors were cool right off the bat. I think your right, I need to come back to the Jeep. I think the ol Jeep bug bit me and it will never go away.......
Old 05-17-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have never really looked at the empty bed that way, but you make a VERY legitimate point. If I'm not hauling anything, then its just wasted space. Thanks for opening my eyes to that.
Originally Posted by LordV8R
I have owned both and can tell you, I am a home owner with children and a boat and all of that. There are very few occasions that I find a bed would be useful, when that time arises I rent a trailer from uhaul for 30$ for the day and the rest of the time I'm not paying for useless space on my vehicle. Just my opinion.

Sent from somewhere I really shouldn't be!
Old 05-17-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bbqman151

Thanks. You know, that's kinda been my line of thinking, other than that 2 door Rubicon all I've owned were trucks. But thinking back, seldom had anything in the bed of them. Yet, since I sold that Jeep, it's never left me alone. I miss the Jeep. It was a fun vehicle. I didn't like when me, my wife, and two girls were in it that you didn't have room to change your mind, but the 4 doors have fixed that issue. I thought the 4 doors were cool right off the bat. I think your right, I need to come back to the Jeep. I think the ol Jeep bug bit me and it will never go away.......
That's the way I was. Although in my profession ( concrete worker) a truck makes more sense. Ever since I got rid of the Rubicon in 06 I missed my jeeps. We'll last year I got rid of the ecoboost 150 and got my jeep fix fixed lol. I do miss that awesome truck too sometimes and I do think I'm stupid for not having a truck in my line of work but there is just something about a jeep 😃
Old 05-17-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truck...

better gas mileage.
Room to haul.
You will make more friends when you get a truck...to help them move!

Jeep...

Shitty gas mileage?...I did not buy for great gas mileage.
Jeeps are cool.
Get a trailer or hitch tray if you need to haul anything.
You can personalize to your hearts content and have something unique.
If you get a truck you WILL regret not getting a jeep.
You will make more friends when you get a jeep...to go to cool places together, explore.
Top is optional.
Guys in trucks will check your rig out and wonder why did I get a truck?
Chicks with the guys in the trucks wonder why she did not find someone with a jeep!
Jeeps are cool! Thought that was worth adding again.
So many people I talk to after getting a jeep...get a jeep.
I was talking to a chick at a dealership one day for a while that had a jeep too. Another lady sitting across the room said "you guys make me want to get one".
I've had a few trucks...no one has ever said nice truck. I've received so many complements on mine (and it is about as close to stock with slight mods compared to other members). Gives me a warm fuzzy.
I've had chicks flash me while in my jeep...ok that's a lie...but I'm hoping one day.
I'll add more later....

Quick Reply: JEEP or TRUCK?