Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JEEP or TRUCK?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a 2003 Tacoma that seemed to do okay off-road, so I traded it in for a 2007 Tacoma with all the off-road bells and whistles. That thing just would not go where I wanted to go. Too big and not balanced properly because of the empty bed. I traded it in for a 2010 2dr. Rubicon and it goes everywhere with no problems. I added a small utility trailer for when I go hunting (or just to the dump).

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure and get the Max Tow Package. It's rated for 3,500. But honestly how often do you tow that much? I sold my truck and got a 5' x 8' trailer it works fine for what I need and the upkeep Of A trailer is pretty cheap compared to a truck you don't drive. And it pulls my boat just fine too. My .02. Follow your heart.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have both
Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can swing it, get a small truck AND the Jeep. It's great having both! My JK gets 26 mpg on the highway, and the best that my V8 1500 4WD crewcab gets is 20-21 hwy. The truck has all the bells and whistles and the JK is the base model with Sport wheels.
I take the Jeep most places, but the truck is great for taking the trash to the recycle bins on weekends.
There are times that a truck really comes in handy (especially for short notice stuff that pops up unexpectedly), and a trailer isn't that easy to rent on a minute's notice...especially on a Sunday.
I truly enjoy my JK, but I'd never be without a truck.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

I just went back to a jk after going to a truck. The truck was nice and definitely more useful but i missed driving stick and the ability to go topless. I used the truck to get toilets, sinks to renovate my bathrooms and for countless landscape work, getting lumber, etc... But the jeep kept calling to me. I can still do the same stuff because i have a 5x10 utility trailer... But it is a lot less convenient than just using the truck. Overall, i will deal with the inconvenience a few days here and there for the fun of having the jeep to drive every day.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

I'm paying the jeep of then getting a truck so I'll have both
Old 05-22-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess a lot of it comes down to how much you really use a truck for a truck. Myself I didn't use mine much to haul anything so I'm just as we'll off with the trailer.

Quick Reply: JEEP or TRUCK?