Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Wave question

Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Wave question

With the rise of gas prices it is a real possibility that many people who own jeeps, but may not be Jeep People, may sell there vehicles for something more fuel friendly. If this is the case, it may be, only people who truly love their Jeeps will be driving them on a regular basis. If so, do you think we will see an increase in the Jeep Wave.

Could it be that gas prices will save the Jeep Wave?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie

That's a good possibility, but many bought them a year or so ago and paid way more than they should have, now they are so upside down it would make no sense to sell it or they just can't sell it because they put a bunch of bling and big rims on it and no Jeeper will buy it.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sully151
If this is the case, it may be, only people who truly love their Jeeps will be driving them on a regular basis. If so, do you think we will see an increase in the Jeep Wave.
Here in Alberta, gas prices are high ($1.30 per litre) and rising steadily, and yet I see more and more JKs on the road every day. So here at least, contrary to logical thought, gas prices aren't effecting the vehicle choices of the general population.

I've never received a wave. Initially I was waving at everyone I saw, but I found that 9/10 JK drivers weren't even looking my way, and the 1/10 I would see looking was a soccer mom thinking I was hittin on her
Old 06-19-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

From California
Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Its sad... but I wave so much and barely get any in return I may stop soon. I bet many feel the same. Sometimes when they do wave back it feels good though.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just wave. Don't make a big deal of it and don't be hurt if someone doesn't wave back. They might not have noticed you there or don't know any better.

I only expect a wave back when I am in a situation where I can actually see the eyes of the oncoming Jeep driver. On a busy highway or multi-lane road, I don't expect a wave back and am ok with it.

My MINI Cooper S only averages about 21-22 mpg for my daily driving and it MUST be fed PREMIUM!!! So 17mpg in my Jeep burning regular gas comes out to the same cost per mile. I drive whichever vehicle I choose for the day and don't think twice.

And I did an experiment today while driving for an hour on the interstate. I slowed down to 60mph instead of the 70mph speed limit. I got much better mileage and enjoyed the ride with the freedom top panels removed. So the lesson learned is to back off on the speed a bit, enjoy the improved mileage, and get there just a few minutes later.

I'm pretty certain that Americans actually are not concerned with the price of gas one bit. I'm sick of hearing people whine and moan about gas prices if they refuse to even make a small effort to be more efficient. At 60mph, I never once passed a single vehicle on the interstate, so everyone else passing me is just fine with gas prices as they are. . .

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 06-19-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

wave has been good here, but lately has dropped off significantly...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just drive less .... what you lose right now on your vehicle can keep you driving for a few years .. Not sure its worth it

Check out this site if you want better gas mileage
http://www.mysuvisgreen.com/index.html
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

Keep on waving. There's a lady in town that drives a TJ and I wave to her 3-4 times a week and now she is waving back ... maybe she didn't know about the wave but it looks like she figured it out.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I've kind of given up too. However, I look at every Jeep going buy and I also look for eye contact. If they look right at me I wave. A few times they waved back but it is rare.

Quick Reply: Jeep Wave question