Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep won't start and ETC light is on!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep won't start and ETC light is on!

Haven't notice my jeep running rough or anything odd, but just went to move it and no cranky. Just a click and the electronic throttle control light stays lit up. What are my options and PLEASE say there is something besides "take it to the dealer" because its not under warranty any more
Old 05-26-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK08KATYTX
Haven't notice my jeep running rough or anything odd, but just went to move it and no cranky. Just a click and the electronic throttle control light stays lit up. What are my options and PLEASE say there is something besides "take it to the dealer" because its not under warranty any more
If its an auto, push forward on the shifter and give it a crank.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi

Did you try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so just to see if you got a weird electrical glitch?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

cheap and easy first; test battery at autozone. My last 08 did that, lights were plenty bright, etc...put charger on anyhow and still nothing. turns out battery had bad cell; enough juice for everything except to crank it.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
If its an auto, push forward on the shifter and give it a crank.
It is an auto but that didn't do anything. Thanks anyway
Old 05-26-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will try disconnecting battery and yea I was thinking about having the battery checked tomorrow before freaking out. Luckily I'm not stranded anywhere, I'm home
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Clickity, click...looks like I'm going to autozone tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas
Old 05-26-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a battery cell go out on me with my 08 check and see if there's a batteries plus near by I got a good deal on mine bout 30 dollars less then autozone
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK08KATYTX
I had the same thing happen to me. It would just click but wouldn't turn over. I had to take it to the dealer 4 times. They check everything. They change out the starter, battery, and coil in the trans.

It turn out to be ground problem. They added another ground cable from the engine to the nagative on your battery. Hope this help.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 PM
JK Newbie

What year is yours? I have an 11 and it did this to me just last week at a friends house I have the dull batteries and everything I took the cable off the battery for a few then put it back on and jump started it it's been working fine since not sure what the deal was but since you said that about the grounding i know what I'm doing this weekend

Quick Reply: Jeep won't start and ETC light is on!