Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Buying Help

Old 06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Buying Help

Hello all,
It is just about time I purchase my first Wrangler. I am leaning towards a new 2012 Flame Red Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. From my research I understand Jeeps just seem to hold their value, and buying used is almost not worth it in the long run. My main criteria's are that I would like leather seats, navigation, and either Flame Red or Black. Will all the extra options I love it really seems to add up. What are your opinions on buying new or used? Also, would you go to a dealer and have them find the Wrangler you the Jeep if they didn't have it themselves, or would you search for it on sites such as autotrader? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Well one thing to keep in mind, they're coming into the decline in production for 2012's since the 2013's are gonna be opening up for order. So because of that, you could probably catch a pretty nice deal on a remaining 2012 in dealer inventory.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this process, for a flame red JKU as well actually. What I did was did a dealer search for everything within about a 1000 km radius of my city, until I found the one Jeep I wanted, with the options I wanted, etc etc. From there I went to 4 dealerships, told them what I wanted... and of course they tried to put me into something on their lots. When I declined that, they all said they wanted to do dealer searches (they all said they had access to more inventory than I did). Anyway, 3 of the 4 came back with the Jeep I had already found, and the one that didn't I just pointed in the right direction. The thing was about 900 km away, so none of them would bring it in without a secured buyer, and I wouldn't agree to buy until a deal was worked out and agreed on price. All said and done, I just laid it out saying I was buying a Jeep, and whoever put the best offer in front of me by the end of the day was going to get my business. First 3 all came in relatively close to each other, all about 3K under MRSP, but wanted me to pay the additional freight charge and admin fees (About 1700 bucks). The final guy called me on the phone and just asked if I was still in the market or had went with someone. I told him I was still in the wind, and to shoot me his best offer. He offered me 6K under MRSP, with all the fees built in, and no freight charge. Sealed the deal on the phone, pick the Jeep up Thursday.

The real point here is these guys are in a competitive market, and have a fair amount of room to move on these vehicles. It's your money, so pit them against each other and just make it clear, best offer wins. I have heard people say some dealers won't play that game, and that's fine.... they just lose before they start.

Good luck finding your Jeep!!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rush54
I just went through this process, for a flame red JKU as well actually. What I did was did a dealer search for everything within about a 1000 km radius of my city, until I found the one Jeep I wanted, with the options I wanted, etc etc. From there I went to 4 dealerships, told them what I wanted... and of course they tried to put me into something on their lots. When I declined that, they all said they wanted to do dealer searches (they all said they had access to more inventory than I did). Anyway, 3 of the 4 came back with the Jeep I had already found, and the one that didn't I just pointed in the right direction. The thing was about 900 km away, so none of them would bring it in without a secured buyer, and I wouldn't agree to buy until a deal was worked out and agreed on price. All said and done, I just laid it out saying I was buying a Jeep, and whoever put the best offer in front of me by the end of the day was going to get my business. First 3 all came in relatively close to each other, all about 3K under MRSP, but wanted me to pay the additional freight charge and admin fees (About 1700 bucks). The final guy called me on the phone and just asked if I was still in the market or had went with someone. I told him I was still in the wind, and to shoot me his best offer. He offered me 6K under MRSP, with all the fees built in, and no freight charge. Sealed the deal on the phone, pick the Jeep up Thursday.

The real point here is these guys are in a competitive market, and have a fair amount of room to move on these vehicles. It's your money, so pit them against each other and just make it clear, best offer wins. I have heard people say some dealers won't play that game, and that's fine.... they just lose before they start.

Good luck finding your Jeep!!
I totally agree! Your in the drivers seat when buying a vehicle, they want and need the sale, and it's your money and decision. Make them earn your business!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

6k under msrp

What was the Msrp if u don't mind saying?
Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

I use the exact same strategy ad Rush54 every time I purchase a vehicle.

There are many dealers in my area that offer this "haggle free/ best price up front/no negotiating" non sense. My experience with that sales model is that you can always beat their "bottom line" pricing by negotiating and making them compete for your business on price.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
6k under msrp

What was the Msrp if u don't mind saying?
Sorry, I missed this.

MSRP was 34,135.... sale price, fees and fright all in was 27,999.

Quick Reply: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Buying Help