Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeeps don't have real 4WD...

Old 12-25-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeeps don't have real 4WD...

So, my cousin wants to buy a pickup truck for work. He really likes the nissan frontier. He was chatting with the dealer the other day and his dealer said for american cars only Chevy can do real 4wd since they patented it, and foreign cars can since they're not US companies. Nissan apparently is the best in the business. So if he buys a Jeep, he won't have "real 4wd" so it won't work nearly as well as a nissan would off road and in the snow

Old 12-25-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

hey, They are right! jeeps suck off-road...
Old 12-25-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

If we don't have "real 4wd" then what exactly is it that we do have?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just makes the salesman look dumb when they do that. Jeeps aren't 4 wheel drive. I'm shocked they don't go lay in front of the tire to keep you at a dealership these days. Be very careful and specific when you have work done to your vehicle at a car dealership. They will take you on that. My brother learned that the hardway.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by necros
So, my cousin wants to buy a pickup truck for work. He really likes the nissan frontier. He was chatting with the dealer the other day and his dealer said for american cars only Chevy can do real 4wd since they patented it, and foreign cars can since they're not US companies. Nissan apparently is the best in the business. So if he buys a Jeep, he won't have "real 4wd" so it won't work nearly as well as a nissan would off road and in the snow

Then have him ask the sales idiot how Nissan can do that when it is made in the USA?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Then have him ask the sales idiot how Nissan can do that when it is made in the USA?
haha true, if you look at a new Nissan there should be a sticker in the windshield that shows the breakdown of where the parts are mad, I think its 80% American....if i am correct
Old 12-25-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Tell that to my JK Rubicon when both axles are locked .

That dealer/salesman does not know jack squat

He needs to learn some more about 4wd systems and less time in the bathroom schnorting.

Last edited by Bluewaterrider; 12-25-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL as a former Nissan owner, I have to say other than the Patrol range which I used to own and doesn't sell in the US, Nissan don't make any other serious play 4x4's. Here in Oz the Nissan Patrol is King, They have a bulletproof driveline that makes you chicken out, dent something or give up before there's any chance of breaking something. So don't discount Nissan completely, it seems they aren't trying in the US market.
The Nissan Patrols, stock off the floor are tougher than a Jeep and well proven since the 1989 GQ with coil sprung live axles, truck gearboxes and big straight 6 diesels & petrols, but everything else made by Nissan is just average IFS stuff, and then Mitsubishi Pajero is the best IFS of the bunch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0474.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	16922

Last edited by Brisnut; 12-25-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

thats quite possibly the most ignorant thing i've ever heard
Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought it was funny. I don't really know much about off roading but I know enough to know the jeep is a heluva lot better than nissan. He was saying he saw a guy in a jeep stuck in the sand before but I tried to tell him everyone gets stuck sooner or later and it could just be the guy didn't know what he was doing.

it's crazy how dumb some dealers are. I mean, i'm sure that frontier will be fine at hauling his construction stuff around and pulling his boat and is prolly ok off road too, but still.

Quick Reply: Jeeps don't have real 4WD...