Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeeps Stolen at Record Levels -- (Older ones more)

Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeeps Stolen at Record Levels -- (Older ones more)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The Albuquerque Police Department had a warning for Jeep drivers Tuesday.

Officers said thefts of one particular type of vehicle are on the rise in the Duke City and in some cases, they're being stolen right out of the victim's driveway.

Jennifer Fitzpatrick said she found that out the hard way that of all the vehicles on the road, there's one type thieves in Albuquerque really have an eye on.

"I sat down here to put on my sneakers, to go for my run around this neighborhood and I noticed my Jeep was gone," Fitzpatrick said.

Fitzpatrick's Jeep was stolen right out of her driveway last weekend, and she was far from alone.

"Slowly over the last couple of months we've seen a trend where Jeep Wrangler vehicles and the Jeep Rubicon are becoming kind of a hot vehicle to steal," said Sgt. Lou Heckroth with the Albuquerque Police Department.

Police said Jeeps are swiped at a rate of about one every other day. They said of the Jeeps stolen in October so far, only one has been found.

Police said they think most are headed south of the border.

"It's a compact 4x4 vehicle where they can go off road. They can avoid the checkpoints, get over water easily and then they can use it up in the high terrain in Mexico," Heckroth said.

Police said mainly Jeeps from model years 2000 to 2004 -- new enough to still run well, but too old for some of the more modern anti-theft technology -- are being stolen.

"APD is watching out for Jeeps on the streets of Albuquerque and further south," Heckroth said. "I'm contacting the El Paso Police Department, and I give them hot lists of our stolen vehicles so that they can set up bridge check points."

Police said they urge all Jeep owners to keep an eye on their vehicle and Fitzpatrick preached the same advice.

"It doesn't matter what neighborhood you live in because I've lived in three different ones in the last four years and in each place something's gotten stolen," Fitzpatrick said.

Police said the best thing drivers can do to protect themselves is to purchase and use an anti-theft device like a club or park in their garage.

They also want to warn all drivers. They said now that the weather is cooling off, drivers should never leave your car running unattended with the keys in the ignition.

My Comment:

Rather nasty news, but again, our JK's have better technology to prevent theft. I cleaned out my garage, and now my Jeep has a nice heated garage to sleep in.

For you outside parkers: Try putting a Kryptonite Motorcycle Lock through the frame and rear wheels. It just makes the Jeep a bad target for theft.

- Dave in Flagstaff
Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have thought that the Rubicon TJ would be hard to steal since they had the chip in the key.

I am not a theif though so I wouldn't really know to be quite honest.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

That sucks
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Certainly something to keep in mind as I have friends with TJ's in that range. If it's happening in Albq, you can bet that they are a target in Tucson, Phoenix & San Diego as well.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

We all know each other here in my little country town, so if my Jeep got stolen, everyone would be waving at the thief as he drove outta town.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmmm , So that is why no one has stolen my H3 yet
Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconRed_Flagstaff
My Comment:

Rather nasty news, but again, our JK's have better technology to prevent theft.
The JKs have the exact same anti-theft Sentry system that the TJs had. Think again on that one.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Kes
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Candlemuse
Hmmmm , So that is why no one has stolen my H3 yet
lol.... you could leave the keys in it while it's running with the windows down. It'll still be safe and sound.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi

Been going on for awhile, I know awhile back some SoCal guys were taking off the Rubicon stickers on their TJs. The owner for another Jeep site I'm a longtime member of had his built YJ swiped right from the front of his house a year or so ago.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Yes! Keep your windows zipped up tight. That'll stop dem theves.

Quick Reply: Jeeps Stolen at Record Levels -- (Older ones more)