Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jiffy Lube is stupid and so am I!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Lube is stupid and so am I!

Why Jiffy Lube is stupid:

My JK got her first oil change today to Pensoil Platinum Full Synthetic. That was great, but I live in an apartment so just took it to Jiffy Lube across the street to have it done. I come to pick it up and the hood is all the way back and resting on the windshield frame. Black painted metal, to black painted metal = scratches. AHH!! tiny little scratches all across the contact area of the top of my hood where it met the top of my windshield frame! They paid for a hand car wash and hand wax and you can still see the scratches but they're super tiny. Its a jeep so I left it at that, but Jiffy Lube still sucks and are stupid!

Why I'm stupid:

When I got home i decided i wanted my trail rated badge off finally since the wrangler and x stickers are off. So I pry this puppy off and when im cleaning it away I noticed i put 3 little dents and 3 little gouges of paint carved out from prying it off. I thought if i wrapped up the tip of a screwdriver in a shirt enough times it wouldn't scratch... WRONG

Right after i did that I noticed the area on the hood on the drivers side now has the infamous "mirror dimple". I'm the only one thats taken the doors off this thing and it wasn't like that until recently. (I just had the doors off last week) GRRR!!!

I know its a jeep and I shouldn't worry about minor things like this, but it still kinda annoys me because it wasn't stuff made on a trail, and I paid a good chunk of money for this thing. Just thought I'd vent.

P.S. Should I have gotten more out of Jiffy Lube for the little scratches?? The hand wash and wax was 40 bucks and they paid for that and, after you could hardly see them, but still, if that happened every time I got my oil changed then, after 100,000mi I wouldn't have any paint left on that line of scratches they made.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

In about 1995 I purchased a used 1994 black Z71 extended cab truck. It had low mileage and the body was in perfect condition. Shortly after I took my wife to the lake for some camping and fishing. I was showing my wife how to cast, using just a sinker weight on the line. I whipped the rod back and let loose on the line. The line snagged on the spool and snapped back and left a nickel side dent on the right side of my truck. Not only did my casting school go to hell, but my truck got dented in front of the student, my wife. Now I felt pretty stupid. My wife said better me than some shopping cart, for the first dent. But that didn't make me feel any better.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ericdewayne, they don't let you near those cajillion dollar jets with screwdrivers , do they?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

haha I guess it is best its my dent... :(

And I dont work on the jets, thank god! I just fly on em, break em, and let the crew chief's fix em for me. If it was me fixing the jets, we'd have lost the war a LONG time ago! lol

What about the Jiffy Lube handiwork? is a 40 dollar hand wash and wax enough? They wanted to get their huge ass buffer out to try to buff the scratches, but all I could see in my head was little scratches with HUGE deep swirl marks all over my hood. I said no thanks, but thanks for the car wash and left.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi

maybe push for a professional detail, those guys do that claybar treatment. i bet that would get them out.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

well I don't know if it was Jiffy lube or Jeep that was stupid.

I have a wwii jeep. when you open the hood you open it all the way back and rest it against the windshield. there are hood blocks that prevent damage to the windshield or the hood.

The first time I opened a JK hood at the dealer I did the same thing. opened it all the way up and leaned it against the windshield. anybody that works with real jeeps is used to this.

Jeep was stupid for not limiting the swing of the hood to keep this from hapening or for not using hood blocks and just getting rid of the hood support.

when working on a jeep engine it sure is handy to have that hood up and out of the way.

I just may install hood blocks on my JK so I can do this.

so I would say the guy at Jiffy lube is used to older jeeps. and Jeep droped the ball by not limiting the swing of the hood. Or providing protection so you could open her up the way older jeeps do.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi

Well shoot, while they are taking out the scratches, they might as well get rid of the bugs, tar, and tree sap too!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you go to a body shop they would be able to tell you if a buffing would truly fix the problem or not. Have them give you a writen estimate of the cost to fix it.Tell the Jiffy Lube manager Thanks for the offer to buff it out, but you would rather have a professional body shop that works with this sort of stuff all the time take care of it and then show him the estimate. And work from there. Be persistant, but be nice about it as well. If they won't pay for it maybe you can get some free oil changes out of it...But get it in writing, like a prepaid gift card or something.

If you do go to a body shop, you could see if they could remove the dents you have as well.
I have heard of a dent removal system where they can remove the dent without even messing up the paint. I don't know what they call it and I have no idea how its done.

Last edited by CHOPPER; 02-20-2007 at 02:31 AM. Reason: I edited my anwser because I somehow overlooked the fact that Jiffy lube was the ones that wased and waxed the vehicle , and they wanted to buff it out.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gpwpat
well I don't know if it was Jiffy lube or Jeep that was stupid.

I have a wwii jeep. when you open the hood you open it all the way back and rest it against the windshield. there are hood blocks that prevent damage to the windshield or the hood.

The first time I opened a JK hood at the dealer I did the same thing. opened it all the way up and leaned it against the windshield. anybody that works with real jeeps is used to this.

Jeep was stupid for not limiting the swing of the hood to keep this from hapening or for not using hood blocks and just getting rid of the hood support.

when working on a jeep engine it sure is handy to have that hood up and out of the way.

I just may install hood blocks on my JK so I can do this.

so I would say the guy at Jiffy lube is used to older jeeps. and Jeep droped the ball by not limiting the swing of the hood. Or providing protection so you could open her up the way older jeeps do.
I agree. I always did this with my TJ. It actually rested on the fabric of the soft top. Just watch out for the wind when doing this. I witnessed a hood get blown shut. Needless to say, if the guy would have been under the hood at the time...:sad:
Old 02-20-2007, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
If you do go to a body shop, you could see if they could remove the dents you have as well.
I have heard of a dent removal system where they can remove the dent without even messing up the paint. I don't know what they call it and I have no idea how its done.
I had the dents removed from my wifes truck. 4 differents locations cost $125. I got it done from a shop that specializes in dent removal, not a full on Body Shop.

They work the dent from the inside of the sheet metal. They had a tool that they worked to push out the dent. I think it is somewhat of a skilled craft so check out their work first.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube is stupid and so am I!