Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK best selling Jeep Wrangler

Old 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK best selling Jeep Wrangler

All the talk about 2drs and 4drs had got me wondering about sales of the JK compared to wranglers in the past. I couldn't find any data for the TJ on the numbers sold. The YJ had almost 690,000 sold from 87-95. So far the JK has already sold about 360,000 units. If things continue like that for the JK is looks like it will be the best selling Wrangler of all time.
I know it always seemed like there were more jeeps on the road than there used to be and the sales numbers show that it is not just my imagination. That is a good thing for all of us because that makes it more likely that the aftermarket people can make more money and have more things for us to buy. I like it>>>>!

Found the TJ data from the link below and looks only 603,000.

Last edited by genesbro; 10-28-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: found TJ data
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CJ 5 - 603303 units

CJ 7 - 379299 units

TJ - 603000+ units
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by genesbro
... I couldn't find any data for the TJ ...
Check these links out ...

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/prod-numbers.htm

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/prod-numbers2.htm

They are production numbers, but it's reasonable to figure that eventually they sold all that they made.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the link, that is surprising that the old YJ outsold the TJ.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Junkie

Price had a lot to do with that. YJ's were very inexpensive, but when the TJ's launched there was a big price jump for basically the same vehicle (yes I know a lot was changed, but to the common person, it still basically looked like the same vehicle). Thus it did not attract as many new customers.
Originally Posted by genesbro
Thanks for the link, that is surprising that the old YJ outsold the TJ.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Price had a lot to do with that. YJ's were very inexpensive, but when the TJ's launched there was a big price jump for basically the same vehicle (yes I know a lot was changed, but to the common person, it still basically looked like the same vehicle). Thus it did not attract as many new customers.
Thats one of the things I focused on when selling Jeep around the change over. As a sales person often times you would find someone looking at the Cherokee could easily be switched to the TJ after you explained the difference in the ride over the YJ (coil suspension made a WORLD of difference).

If you could get them behind the wheel on a nice warm day and get that top down - you were golden

Regardless of what the true 'roughing it' Jeepers say, improved ride on the TJ made it a better option for folks looking for a fun DD, but approaching it from that perspective probably was overlooked by many sales people.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

That was good info on the sales numbers for the TJ versus the YJ guys. This forum is great for this very reason. There is always someone out there that knows something that you were wondering about. Have fun wheeling everyone.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

i heard today in the news that wrangler is the 5th car that sells in PR and here is the 3 country in sales for wrangler.
i bought mine one month ago, my friend 2 days after i bought mine, and yesterday another friend got his JK... after i took him off roading.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I bet you guys have some great trails there. Glad to hear you have some good friends to good wheeling with, I know you will be having lots of fun.

Quick Reply: JK best selling Jeep Wrangler