Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK CD Shop Manual Problem

Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK CD Shop Manual Problem

I just received my JK Shop Manual on CD. It will only work on the Explorer 6 browser, it is written in a HTML format . Only the Mechanical Tab will function in Explorer 7, the Electrical Tab will not function in 7. I paid $141.00 total for the CD from Tech Authority in Ohio. I called them and they readily admitted it would not operate in Explorer 7 and would probably be three years before it could be rewritten. Told me to send back for refund. Asked why they did not indicate this on the web site or the CD and she did not know. Hard copy is $325 plus tax and shipping. I sent it back for refund. My Unlimited Rubicon is due any day now, does anyone know where I can find a list of the computer error codes?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crwood1
I just received my JK Shop Manual on CD. It will only work on the Explorer 6 browser, it is written in a HTML format . Only the Mechanical Tab will function in Explorer 7, the Electrical Tab will not function in 7. I paid $141.00 total for the CD from Tech Authority in Ohio. I called them and they readily admitted it would not operate in Explorer 7 and would probably be three years before it could be rewritten. Told me to send back for refund. Asked why they did not indicate this on the web site or the CD and she did not know. Hard copy is $325 plus tax and shipping. I sent it back for refund. My Unlimited Rubicon is due any day now, does anyone know where I can find a list of the computer error codes?
Oh crap, you are correct! I just tried it.

I hadent tried the electrical parts.

*dammit*
Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not much help here, but I was wondering if you had tried other browsers besides Explorer - like Firefox - or does the CD just integrate itself with Exploder?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Did you make a copy of the CD before you sent it back?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Eternal ***erator

I just uninstalled IE7 and the thing does work now, so this info appears correct.

Solves the problem for now, but what happens when IE6 is no longer supported?

This is just STUPID on DC's part. They'll be getting my disc back as well. :angry:

In case anyone wondered, the damn thing isnt, i repeat ISN'T searchable.

What kinda idiotic programming is that? the thing has no provisions for keyword searching.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-18-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Copy the HTML Documents and "hook a brotha up"! There are all kinds of ways to view those documents and I may even be able to make you a search tool for it. Send them my way...

usaf_groundrat@cebridge.net

Old 01-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

I just got off the phone with Tech Authority.

I was told *insert circus style "song and dance" music here*

They have contacted the supplier to see what will be done about this, apparently they are starting to receive calls on this (really? at 140 bucks a pop, you can bet yer *ahem* your gonna get more than a few)

They do not know what is going to happen, they are supposed to call me (and whomever else calls to complain) when they have an answer. They may ask for it returned, credit my account, cure cancer, fly to mars, perfect perpetual motion, who knows.

I'll believe it when i see it as a credit to my account, i doubt it though. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to see, but i sense a need for Vaseline coming on.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by USAF_GroundRat
Copy the HTML Documents and "hook a brotha up"! There are all kinds of ways to view those documents and I may even be able to make you a search tool for it. Send them my way...

usaf_groundrat@cebridge.net

I would bet that with a small amount of work all the docs could be copied onto the HD from the CD and added to a free webserver run on the computer. Then you could add a free search engine and use any browser you want.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yo Yo Yo

SEND ME A COPY OF THAT CD would ya?!

I got $10.00 with your name on it!

I write ASP/HTML/JavaScritp/etc for a living.. i may be able to make it IE7 friendly...

and that's actually MORONIC on DC's part...

Comcast tried to pull that "not IE7 compatable" crap here... then a week later it worked...

I would just install Fire Fox 2.0 and view it... I use FF, but now almost like IE7 more...
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you ahve a full version of Adobe just convert it to PDF. THat would be the easiest thing IMO. I do it all the time.

Nader

Quick Reply: JK CD Shop Manual Problem