Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk superchargers

Old 05-26-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jk superchargers

Am going to super barge my jk and am looking at the 3 that I see avenger, sprintex, and of course Ripp. It seems like most people on this forum have Ripp, and that is the one that I have done the most research on. My question is has anyone here done either of the other two, or possible one I have not mentioned? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strombeck
Am going to super barge my jk and am looking at the 3 that I see avenger, sprintex, and of course Ripp. It seems like most people on this forum have Ripp, and that is the one that I have done the most research on. My question is has anyone here done either of the other two, or possible one I have not mentioned? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
One more thing I just thought about. What kind of mileage did you have prior and what do you have after supercharger? Did it change at all?
Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

What year is your JK?

I have been seriously considering one and doing lots of research. But, i have a 2011 and due to the stupid PCM, there are really only 2 choices. Ripp SC or the Prodigy turbo kit are the only two companies that have come up with some way of tuning the 2011. I've owned over a dozen turbo cars and a couple supercharged cars. Ripp uses a Vortech blower and i have a Vortech on my Cobra and its been good to me for years, so i am going to go with the RIPP when i am ready.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Id like to know the same
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Been reading up on s/c Ripp is I think the choice...There working on 1 for 2012...I will be watching out for this...
Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Strombeck
One more thing I just thought about. What kind of mileage did you have prior and what do you have after supercharger? Did it change at all?
I lost MPG after installing my RIPP over a year ago, but it may be due to owning a 6-speed JK versus the folks with autos.

Prior - 20mpg
Post - 16mpg

From a previous re-hashing of this same oft asked question:
Originally Posted by B 1000
1) To those who have noticed a drop in economy, has your driving habits been at fault for this? Be honest please.

2) For those who have seen gains in fuel economy, are you driving so gently that you are not getting the benefit of being boosted?
Driving habits almost the same if not ridiculously more conservative after the SC install. I just knew I shouldn't be the only one in the world losing fuel economy while all others were experiencing gains so I started coasting a quarter mile before stop signs, coasting down hills at every chance, etc. to attempt to squeeze out the reputed increased MPG - never happened. I dropped about 3-4 mpg initially (first eight months). After a new MAP sensor and tune, I've gained back 1 mpg. I really didn't expect to gain MPG from the beginning, but was hopeful that I'd somehow maintain the pre-supercharger fuel economy which was around 19-20 mpg (greater out on the highway holding about 55-60 mph), and that's with a 2.5" lift and baby 35s. By the way, my fuel economy is hand calculated.

Here's my theory at the moment (setting aside physical laws) - if you had great fuel economy pre-supercharger you're going to lose mpg. If you were in the low to mid-teens pre-supercharger, you're going to gain 1 or 2 mpg. Again, this is based purely on anecdotal data I've observed here on the forum. I would love to hear about someone who started with 20 mpg who is now getting 22-23 mpg after installing a RIPP supercharger, but I don't think it's going to happen. There were some initial reports of huge fuel economy gains, but I think that was traced back to a "bug" in the Diablo tune that was later corrected.

I tried to implement option 2, "driving so gently that you are not getting the benefit of being boosted" but without success. No measurable MPG improvement most likely due to my already conservative driving habits. I wanted the extra power for the occasional traffic conditions where it was warranted, but still drive my JK mildly. I do notice a little more torque and power at lower rpms which has made a positive difference in around town driving so the blower is contributing even when not in the 3K plus range band.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking at the Ripp and the turbo kit as well, looks like the turbo kit is pretty insane when dyno is done but the Ripp has a proven track record. I am still up in the air. Ripp had a good deal until the end of the month!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Strombeck,

I have the Sprintex supercharger on my jeep, and I will tell you that I also lost some fuel economy after putting it on as well; however, I did mount much more aggressive 39 inch tires the same time I had the supercharger installed. So I am not able to tell you how much the supercharger or larger tires decreased my mpg.

I can tell you that with 39.5" tires, lots of weight and heavy armor, 5.38 gears, in a 2-door, I average about 12 mpg on highway driving approximately 65 to 70 mph. Around town is a different story, I could average much better mpg but I have a hard time not lighting up the tires with the power, so right now i'm at about 9.5 to 10 mph.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Jk superchargers