Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Tough?

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK Tough?

First, let me say that my JK has proved itself to me to be very tough. I am pleased with the ability to go places I never dreamed a little 4 wheel drive that looks this good could go. I would like some with experience from the TJ/CJ and others to weigh in on their thoughts about how tough their JK are when compared to the older Jeeps.

I am not trying to make a war but just get input from those that have a lot more experience than I do with those models. By the way I have driven other Jeeps off-road. One of them was my US Army M151A1 that I used in Germany and in the States back when I wore the uniform. So don't give me too hard a time about not owning an older Jeep!

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 09-06-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well their is no comparison old tech vs new hands down i would take new tech over old
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my 6th Jeep and the best ever.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

Upgrading from a TJ to a JK was a vast improvement all around. The difference in "toughness" I have noticed are that the hood cowl and front grill are plastic on the JK, where they were steel on my TJ. Im not sure if this is a weight saving tactic to improve gas mileage or if DC is trying to save money. My 99 TJ had near perfect paint when I sold it last month...Two small chips in the paint on the hood over 98,000 miles and 9 years isnt bad. I have 3 chips in the paint on my JK in just over a month and 1500 miles. That being said, I don't feel the paint quality is as good as the TJ's of the past.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have both a TJ and a JK and the difference is like chalk 'n cheese. The JK feels much roomier (width) and is definitely smoother and easier to drive. This applies both to on and off-road driving. The JK is much more like the WJ I used to own than the TJ.

The only thing I prefer in the TJ is the prowess of the engine. The JK feels lame to say the least.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM
JK Freak

One thing I have notice, having driven both the 2dr and the unlimited, is that you can really feel that the unlimited is a bit heavier, the engine response is quite slower compare to the 2dr.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default only my 4th

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
This is my 6th Jeep and the best ever.
This is my 4th jeep, and the best ever.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

After my CJ's I wouldn't touch a Jeep. YJ felt like a toy; I needed more room and The Early Bronco fit the bill. I started to turn back when the TJ came out. but there was still a size issue. The unlimited TJ made it better; then in late '06 I saw the JKU, now the Bronco's up for sale. The JK is solid and comfortable in comparison.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

had a YJ for 13 years, couldn't hurt it. Hard on the back, not as bad as the CJ. The JK is head and shoulders above the rest!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gonetoshoot
Upgrading from a TJ to a JK was a vast improvement all around. The difference in "toughness" I have noticed are that the hood cowl and front grill are plastic on the JK,
My hood cowl is metal, not plastic. Grill however.....plastic.

Quick Reply: JK Tough?