Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Tough?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is only my second jeep, 1st was an 82 cj5, and i can honestly say that newer is better
Old 09-06-2008, 03:05 AM
JK Jedi

The JK seems to be tougher than the TJ where it counts.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Like my JK better than my TJ EXCEPT for the power in the drivetrain. TJ wins that one..everything else goes to the JK.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My JK is my second Jeep, the first being an XJ, and I will say I am completely impressed.

A week after signing the papers for it, I went two-tracking and ended up going off of the road; plowing through the woods. At one point I thought I would be stuck in a cluster of trees each about 8-12 inches (very rough guesstimate) diameter and was quite surprised that the JK had the balls to just topple the trees over and drive over them.

My boss drives a TJ and always makes fun of my non-4.0, but I am pretty happy with it's prowess.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My JK is by far the better machine, but my TJ was much tougher in terms of body panels, dent avoidance and wet weather tolerence

All of the creature comforts are bound to fail one day just because of thier nature. My TJ could care less if it was wet or if I needed to "nudge" something out of the way.

With that said, I will not go back to a TJ for a DD anytime soon.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Not only are they tough, Geeper4x4 - but I love the bumper as well.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Not only are they tough, Geeper4x4 - but I love the bumper as well.
Thanks!!!

Story: This bumper was built at my high school where I serve as the principal. The students welded everything under the direction of the welding teacher. They made it STOUT. I just bought the steel and showed them a picture of what I wanted. I am very proud of their work and they brag about it everytime I drive it to school. Last year 10 (all of them)of the advanced students got their certification at my high school. I am talking about a bend test that really shows if someone can make a strong weld. They also took first, second, and third at competition beating out schools much larger than ours. The rock test was administered with no damage!! They shaved 2 inches off the bottom after this outing and removed the guard.

They built these rock rails also. Yes, you can jack up the Jeep on them. They will do this type of work for anyone not just me. They weld for one to two hours get a grade then just toss it in a scrap barrel. They love to see something like this rolling around on a new Jk to brag about. Check your local school to see if they can do something like this for you. The instructor is key to the level of quality.

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 09-06-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

That makes the bumper that much more special. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

one tough Jeep
This Jk is my third owned Wrangler and I love it far more than the last ones.
My TJ was pretty tough though,it actually saved my wife and I in an accident.
We actually flew in the Jeep,I guess we were in the air for about 60 feet incredible
My JK I owned it for 6 weeks and was blind sided by a (N)new driver,love these drivers.Her car totaled and taken to hospital,I a little bruise and drove the Jeep homethats right pushed 15 feet side ways and drove home.
Well after about 13 weeks and to much to mention about the estimate,with only the rear panel and the door replaced I was off and driving.
Not a single problem with the JK at all,I even spent the money and took the Jeep to 2 out side companies from the insurance one I deal with,and every one I told the story to all said that the "JK is one tough Jeep",not one single problem.

All I can say is that the JK is one tough Jeep
I love this JK
Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

I liked the bumper before the story. After hearing how it was made, that just plain rocks.

This is my 2nd SUV, previous GMC owner, and the second Jeep in the family (91 XJ previously). The JK is a great combo of tough and with enough creature comforts to make a decent DD. In fact, I get a surprising number of people ask me about it when they're on the fence about purchase. Man I love my JK.

Last edited by Brad2893; 09-06-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: JK Tough?