Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: do you carry an extinguisher in the jk?
yes, i dont want to see the jeep burn
58.62%
no, my jeep is fire proof
12.64%
no, but i plan on one now
28.74%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

jks on fire.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jks on fire.

i was just looking at a thread with a picture of a jk that burnt down to the ground and was wondering how many people carry a fire extinguisher in the jeep.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always do. I have never used it on one of my Jeeps. I have used it on other's vehicles though. Put out a fire on a Bronco the week I put it in there. (brakes caught the passenger well on fire that started to get into the engine compartment.)

I don't really care if the Jeep burns. I have insurance. I just don't want the fire to get out of hand and something larger happen.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

I have two of these mounted just behind the drivers and passenger seat on the roll bar. I hope to never need them.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

I had a friends jeep catch on fire, but that was before the dealership mechanic left an oily rag on the engine skid after doing an oil change and luckily enough my friend smelled the fire ASAP and was able to put it out without any major damage...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I do and have in my WJ for years, I will continue with my JK.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi

I've always just considered a fire extinguisher good general safety gear, so yes I have one.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Within a week of buying my JK I went out and bought a fire extinguisher... but not to prevent the Jeep from going up in flames; because let's be real: a little dinky fire extinguisher won't do sh1t against a fire that hits your gas tank, oil, tranny fluid, or other chemicals. It's bye-bye JK at that point. Don't get me wrong - I love my JK and would definitely try to save it from fire, but my expectations for my extinguisher are grounded in reality.

I bought my extinguisher mainly for off-road use. I don't want to park in some open field with tall weeds and end up burning down a forest because of hot exhaust piping... you know?

Definitely a GREAT idea to carry one, but from what I've read from owners whose JKs have gone up in flames, they barely had enough time to get themselves to safety... so it doesn't seem real likely that you'd be able to save yourself AND your JK in a fire.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Ford F150's alternator caught fire one night coming home from work. (2nd shift). I couldn't put it out and called the F.D. They showed up as soon as I was able to snuff it out with a blanket I had. The truck survived, just some wiring and the alternator had to be replaced. I keep a fire extinguisher now.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

I have a small one next to the drivers seat. Never know who may need it.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Super Freak

i would like to hear from the people with the fire proof jks

Quick Reply: jks on fire.