Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just did my first oil change on my Rubi.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just did my first oil change on my Rubi.

I'm actually a bit ashamed because, prior to getting divorced; I did all my oil changes. It must have been close to 10 years since I have done one. Anyway; I had trouble getting the plug on the oil pan loosened (we all know how hard the dealers torque them down). When I finally got it loose, I got hot oil all on my hand. Then I took the oil filter off, and it wasn't even that tight. Got oil on my hand again. OK, so I put the plug back in, put the new filter back on, and fill it with fresh Mobil 1. I went to get the drain pan and got oil (not quite so hot now) all over my hand again; for the 3rd frigging' time! I checked the owners manual for fluid capacity, just be sure and damn if it didn't need 6 qts. I was certain that a V6 only required 5, so I bought a 5 qt. jug from Wally World for $23.95. Back to the store for an additional qt. Next time I know what to watch out for.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

i do all my own work but the dealer offered me $5 oil changes for life so i let them get burned lol. i cant believe that they take 6 qts that sounds high. good to know though
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good, regardless of how well it goes, you won't catch me paying for an oil change on a vehicle I remotely care about. Well, until I'm too old and crippled and I may pay my kids/grandkids to do it when I'm an old man. lol
Old 04-17-2010, 01:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Changing the oil on a Jeep is a messy job. The filter doesn't drain completely, so you have to be careful while maneuvering it down to drain it. I picked up a roll-up mat at Pep Boys that I place on the ground below my Jeep before changing oil. And, since I must work outside my garage, I wait for the wind to die down (this is Oklahoma, after all!).

As for six quarts: Remember, you want your Jeep to keep pumping oil even when at the oddest, most extreme angles. I suspect that drove the higher capacity ...

Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

aren't you supposed to check these thing before you start. and get yourself some ice for those burns
Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the successful (although messy) oil change

I always get a bit of oil on the axle from the oil filter

Luckily oil doesn't kill humans on contact!
Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 AM
JK Freak

Great job on the oil change. Be glad you don't have to change the fluid in the 6-speed manual trans. Chrysler had a severe brain cramp with that design
Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Next time try one of these also available with a 90 on the end. No oil on your hands and no mess. A little pricey around 25 bucks but well worth it IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	valve2..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	61129  
Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone know how to reset the internal/computer oil service interval? I did not wait for the light before the oil change, so there's not 'light' to reset. Is it even possible to reset the interval before the oil service light comes on?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Rhino64 you beat me to it. I changed my oil today with my valve. Mine has a stem on the end so I slip a piece of rubber hose over it and direct the hose to the catch pan. No mess. I do put a pan under the filter but if you let the oil drain out you can minimize the mess.

Quick Reply: Just did my first oil change on my Rubi.