Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just ordered 2010 Rubi, have questions...

Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered 2010 Rubi, have questions...

I just ordered a 2010 Rubi, there were no dealerships that had what I wanted, so I did a factory order:

What I ordered:
-6 Spd.
-Deep Water Blue.
-Soft Top
-Side Airbags
-Tow Pkg.

That's it. My dealer didn't give me a whole lot of options when I ordered it. However I have some questions that I could not find a good answer through searching:

1. I do not have room for the hard top right now, but I am concerned about the wiring for defrost and wipers in case someday I do want the hard top. If I don't order the hard top now, will it be missing the components to put the hard top in later? I know the components that are necessary to put in the soft top.

2. The Satin Carbon Rims. Does anyone know the option code for these? The dealer did not give me the option when I ordered?

3. Will the soft top come standard with the tinted plastic windows or will I have to specify those at the time of ordering?

4. I didn't get the nav or upgraded sound because I have an aftermarket Nav/DVD head unit out of my current X that I will be transplanting into the Rubi, will the fact that the Rubi comes standard with the Infinity system mean that there is an amplifier in the way of me using the same setup of will I have to re-wire completely?

5. Are there any other hidden options I should be looking for when ordering.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Now I'm certainly confused, or I'm being confusing in regards to the stereo.

The stereo that I will be getting with the Rubi will be the infinity, my question is can I remove the factory unit, put my DD Aftermarket unit that I have in my X in there and have the factory amp running still? Remember that I have a canbus adapter on there to make it work with the X and I assume that I'll need an adapter like you mentioned or the C2R-CHY4.

I assume that the inputs to the factory infinity amp are line level vs. high level and that if I try to hook directly up to the factory amp input wires, it won't last very long befor the amp dies, plus it probably needs a canbus signal to turn on the amp anyway, and without the proper adapter it won't work.

What confuses me is that it sounds like you're saying that after I get something like the C2R-CHY4 and plug my factory head unit into that, I will still need to get some sort of programming from the dealership to make it all work?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

My questions about the hard top were to help me determine if it's a better deal to get the Hard top now (not the dual top group because I have no room) with all the wiring programming, etc... now, instead of later, and then buy the soft top later from a forum member used.

For example.

Factory Soft top now = $0
Add Hard top used = $1200 (top), + $150 (harness) +$75 (install)
Total = ~$1400

OR

Factory Hard top now = $654
Add Soft top used = $800
Total = ~$1400

VS.

Dual top group now ($1440) Which I don't have the room for so can't do.

In your opinion, what's the easiest option of the first two?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dual Top

I got the dual top. Wish I had just gotten the hard top and then purchased an after market bikini top. The soft top takes up a bunch of room with the hard top on. Soft top windows are still in the box, in the garage. They take up room, too.... I don't recommend purchasing a used hard top. You may find that doing so may prevent you from getting any possible noise or leak issues repaired under the warranty.

FWIW my .02

Last edited by Inyo JK; 01-06-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Seeing that you live in PA I'd order the Freedom top cause you'll pretty much want it for winter. Also adding a hard top later and using the wiper/defrost I believe would require a different stalk om steering column. The wiring though might already be there but still sounds like a headache to get everything right.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Simply get every option.

Dual tops in a cold climate are a must. I run hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer.
-possiblities are endless. The hard top is great during the winter and long road trips year round.
-dogs love the soft top when you drop the top or remove the windows.
-I like the soft top better than a bikini top as you can put it back up if it rains.
-I love runing soft top up, windows out and no doors when I'm on trail rides. Ultimate safari set up.

I'm kind of past the aftermarket stereo phase in my life, so I went MyGig. Totally happy with it....especially with the breadcrumb function.

I'd also add the tow package just in case.

I'm glad I have the 6MT, but kind of miss my remote start that I had on my Commander. I would have gone auto with remote start if the auto tranny would have been 5 or 6 speeds vs the 1980's 3 speed with OD.
I can live with it as the JK will become a weekend vehicle some day.

All of these questions may be mute as it sounds like you already ordered. Do you still have time to change your mind?

Regardless, good luck with it. I loved that I special ordered mine simply because the window sticker had my name on it.

Last edited by shredX; 01-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blooty
The soft top takes up a bunch of room with the hard top on.
FWIW my .02
It's not a good idea leaving the soft top on with the hard top on also.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shredX
Simply get every option.

Dual tops in a cold climate are a must. I run hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer.
-possiblities are endless. The hard top is great during the winter and long road trips year round.
-dogs love the soft top when you drop the top or remove the windows.
-I like the soft top better than a bikini top as you can put it back up if it rains.
-I love runing soft top up, windows out and no doors when I'm on trail rides. Ultimate safari set up.

I'm kind of past the aftermarket stereo phase in my life, so I went MyGig. Totally happy with it....especially with the breadcrumb function.

I'd also add the tow package just in case.

I'm glad I have the 6MT, but kind of miss my remote start that I had on my Commander. I would have gone auto with remote start if the auto tranny would have been 5 or 6 speeds vs the 1980's 3 speed with OD.
I can live with it as the JK will become a weekend vehicle some day.

All of these questions may be mute as it sounds like you already ordered. Do you still have time to change your mind?

Regardless, good luck with it. I loved that I special ordered mine simply because the window sticker had my name on it.
Well I'm no stranger to the soft top, my 2008 Unlimited that I have now suits me just fine with the soft top, but I can certainly see the advantage of the hard top, particularly for security and longer rides. I've had a 1999 that was soft top only and a 2003 that was dual tops, and I found the dual tops to take up waaay to much room in my Garage when it was just a 2 door, the 4 door is only larger still. But I plan to move in the next year or two and one of my requiremnts is a bigger garage, fixing that problem, but I don't want to get a new Jeep just because I didn't order the hard top in the beginning. My family pretty much prefers the top to be down anytime it's not raining or below 70F (which last year in PA was about 2 weeks total, lol)

In regards to the MyGig, I have a 09 Town and Country with the MyGig and although it's a perfect setup technologically, IMO, it does lack the sonic quality I desire. Which in a Jeep is a bit of a futile pursuit. Plus I can't stand the features being disabled in motion (I know lockpic will fix this, but I don't want to mess with it while under warranty unless I'm pulling the whole thing.)
Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your aftermarket stereo will work fine with your infinity amp .. no problem.. no need to to take it to the dealer to reprogram. have fun with your new rubi ! oh i would get the hardtop now if you can and pick up a used softtop for 400 - 500 bucks
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blockrockin
your aftermarket stereo will work fine with your infinity amp .. no problem.. no need to to take it to the dealer to reprogram. have fun with your new rubi ! oh i would get the hardtop now if you can and pick up a used softtop for 400 - 500 bucks
Well you all convinced me to go ahead and get the Hard top first, called the dealer today (4 days after he placed the order) and he's already got a VIN number and an estimated ship date.

Sooooo, Since I'm in D-1 it's too late to get my hard top, oh well, I've made due up until now with the soft top, I'll make due again.

Thanks for the input. I'm still torn on what to do with the stereo, I'll just give it a shot and see how it works I guess.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Just ordered 2010 Rubi, have questions...