Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just purchased, now what?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased, now what?

I just purchased a 08 4 door. And I thought I was on here a lot before I owned a JK.........

I searched to see if there was a "post-purchase" checklist. I could not find one. For example, it is an 08, so are we still drilling holes in the mirrors? I think I am going to rattle can the gas tank before it gets the metal cancer. Does anyone know of a recommended list of to do's?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Yes, number one on the list:
Take it off road and enjoy the scenery.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
JK Junkie

Ya I would still drill the mirrors....mod the hell out of it, then wheel it, mod it more and repeat. enjoy!!!

Cheers
Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 AM
JK Jedi

It won't take long before you realize what you need or want to do to fit your criteria, being on here will certainly help give you ideas and how-to's.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation, would be drive it. Get to know it's capabilities. And enjoy.
Don't throw alot of money into any mods, but rather get the feel for it unmodded. Pay close attentention to the way it handles and enjoy it in stock form. If anything should go wrong with it, the new warranty should cover it and it will be much easier at the dealership if you take it back for repair like you drove it out.
So many times people begin to add drastic mods right away, changing the handling characteristics, and end up not knowing how it truly handled in the first place, then end up regretting some mods they've done.
Don't get me wrong, I believe it's fun to personlilize. But to go out day one and remove the stock filter system for example and replace it with a CAI is foolish.
One of the great things about a Jeep is that there are so many mods available, but before you make any changes other then aesthetic, get to know your Jeep. The power it has, or lacks. The stopping power. The gas mileage you get. The way it handles both on and off road in stock form.
Then when you do mod it, and you most likely will, you can determine if the mod really affected anything for good or bad.
Welcome to the Jeep Thing!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do like I did and go find some power lines and muddy it up 30 minutes after you bought it....then go back to the dealer and make um wash it for you.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as said before. I would suggest to get to know your jeep and then mod or change something if you don't like it, or you can make it better, it sounds like you just want to change something because everybody else does it (I don't know if you're still in school) there is not a list of things to do after you buy, relax...... enjoy your jeep. I have no idea what you mean about painting the gas tank, but I also think you have no idea either.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on getting a JK...

Mirror mod top priority

Transform it a few times into different configurations and take doors off....take some pictures of it nice and shiney and no trail wounds....and ensure you keep a copy as the JEEP will never look the same after the first day....

Add whatever your heart desires and try to keep a budget as I warn you it will eat up whatever cash you have leftover.....for tires, lift, rims, bumpers, racks, lights, winches, etc. or just burn more gas money as you will want to go out and wheel every chance you get

Enjoy!!!! and don't forget the Jeep Wave!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robin
. I have no idea what you mean about painting the gas tank, but I also think you have no idea either.

I think he means the lovely Muffler to spray it with BBQ black paint !
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just start empting every pocket J E E P

Quick Reply: Just purchased, now what?