Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

just spent 80 Bucks for nothing

Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just spent 80 Bucks for nothing

well just bought a new steering shaft thought it was the source of my knocking noise when i was driving but i guess i was wrong. replaced it and i still have the noise tightened up the track bar ripped apart the dash and i still have the noise. put on new front sway bar discos the other day so i know it's not them because it was making the noise before that im checked under the dash in the steering column i am about to rip in down to the frame and put it back together piece by piece. i am SHIT OUT OF IDEAS and it's really starting to piss me off don't know what else to do.

sorry i just had to vent a little.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the torque on your draglink, and tie rod ends. Mine were woefully loose from the factory.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by enigmaverse
Also check your ujoints... a cap could have wiggled out. thats what happened to mine.
x2 Good call
Old 06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Have you checked whether your steering stabilizer is catching on anything? That's where mine was coming from.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

yea i checked the steering stablizer just put in the duel one the other day and it's still doing it. just took apart the hole upper part where the wipers are checked everything under there. it seems like it favors when i turn to the left. and not the right i just don't know what else to check for. i will re check the torque on the drag link again but i don't think it's that i checked last week im just out of ideas and it's really starting to get frustrating.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by enigmaverse
Also check your ujoints... a cap could have wiggled out. thats what happened to mine.

the u joint cap that your talking about is the black one right. that should be all the way into the axle housing ??
Old 06-02-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try greasing the steering shaft
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

it's not the steering shaft brand new
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biff Malibu
Try greasing the steering shaft

I would try this guys advice. I don't even own a JK yet and that's the first thing I thought of. They are prone to make all kinds of noise even brand new off the lot. So new wouldn't mean much in this case. There is a write up I believe about where to put grease and what to use floating around here. Worth a cheap easy try, with little effort put into it. It sounds like you've wasted tons of time taking shat apart and putting it back together.....this would prolly take substantially less time to rule out.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

yea i greased it last night at about 11:30 and it's still making the noise so that def not the problem i drove all the way to work this morning trying to figure out where it is coming from and it's def on the drivers side somewhere. just don't know where it's coming from

Quick Reply: just spent 80 Bucks for nothing