Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

KM2 or MTR with kevlar??

Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KM2 or MTR with kevlar??

which would you go with? they are about the same price but i cant decide which tire i want more. help me out guys
Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

they pretty good on and off road? and i appreciate the honesty
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another one?

Ok, cool. Sure, I'll play along. Go with MTR w/ Kevlar, which I recommend only because I have that one, and I have zero experience with KM2.

If only everyone was this honest, eh?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default The Other Tire

Toyo Open Country, MT. I have over 10,000 miles on a set, great on road ride, very good traction off road and on the rocks. About the same price.

Henry
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

I went with the KM2s, but I'll have to wait 6 weeks to try them since they're backordered...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 AM
JK Junkie

I like Goodyear products and their warranty, but I can't justify the asymmetric tread.

It not quieter or offer better handling than the Krawler type tread on the KM2s, its not particularly between in the sand or mud, and I don't particularly likes the appearance of it. It just looks wrong.

Maybe that tread offers excellent tread life (which I doubt), traction on ice or better braking in reverse

I believe the MTR/K's are a good choice but someone explain to me the benefit of that tread design. Even the marketing materials from the manufacturer's are vague about the benefits over symmetric designs.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had both.

MTR K works as well offroad if not better, and is MUCH quieter and smoother on the road.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for a balance between off road, on road and winter... You can't beat the Dunlap Rover Maxx Traction. This is the only M/T tire I have found that is winter rated with the snowflake on the side wall for severe winter service. IIRC, Dunlap is a Goodyear company.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the MTR/K's and they ride ROUGH. D load range in a 305/70/17 and they're just too stiff.

The MTR/K's are nice and quiet on the road, and aired down to 10psi they work as well off road as any tire like their design should. But, all being said, you'd probably like the KM2's better since you don't like the looks of the assymetrical tread.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

ive only had the km2's, they grip good in everything ive thrown at them so far. handle good on road to . the only complaint is that there short

but the mtr's are directional which means u cant do a standered rotation, therefore im assuming they wont wear as well or last as long???? (correct me if i wrong).

anyway im thinking im eiather going with iroks next time or mabey just moving up a size in km2's so there acctually 35's lol.

Quick Reply: KM2 or MTR with kevlar??