Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

KM2 or MTR with kevlar??

Old 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joes-jk
ive only had the km2's, they grip good in everything ive thrown at them so far. handle good on road to . the only complaint is that there short

but the mtr's are directional which means u cant do a standered rotation, therefore im assuming they wont wear as well or last as long???? (correct me if i wrong).

anyway im thinking im eiather going with iroks next time or mabey just moving up a size in km2's so there acctually 35's lol.
They are not directional they are asymmetrical, which means you can do a standard rotation. I know nothing of either of these tires, just that the km2 run small. I love my toyos in the rocks, but they are heavy, expensive, and suck in the mud. If toyo made a 38 14.50 17, i would buy those as my next tire, but they dont so i am going with either the MTR/K or km2. I would just like a tire that is close to actual size.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Widewing
If you are looking for a balance between off road, on road and winter... You can't beat the Dunlap Rover Maxx Traction. This is the only M/T tire I have found that is winter rated with the snowflake on the side wall for severe winter service. IIRC, Dunlap is a Goodyear company.

My regards,

Widewing
I really want the Dunlop Rover Maxx's, but I just read on another forum that they're being discontinued since Goodyear is consolidating their brands & tire line offerings.

So, that means I'm likely to stick with BFG and get the KM2s or maybe go back to Cooper STTs.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

good thread I was up in the air about which tire to buy as well between the two listed... I've finally settled in on the MTR/K because I actually kinda like the assm look for some reason. But this thread might persuade my decision.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

KM2's = orgasm
Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

MTR/K's have a kick ass look and are on my purchase list for their all around performance attributes!
Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LedZepp877
KM2's = orgasm
Well maybe so, but can you say this about KM2s? I can't.

While tooling around the net I read the review on the JP site and I remembered this thread.

The following is an excerpt from that article

Bottom Line
We had the tires mounted by Northridge Tire Pros in Northridge, California, and they took less than 3 ounces per tire to balance with one taking only 1/4-ounce to balance. Of the three tire mounting machines there, they all had a problem with getting the outer bead over the rim, and that's what gave us the assurance to beat them at low pressures as much as we did. Also, these tires run true to size (a 32x11.50R15 really stands 32 inches tall) so you might find you need to put a size smaller on your Jeep for the same fitment.

They also praise the sidewall strength (the K in MTR/K really works). So if you can't afford beadlocks and you want a full size tire, these sound like the better choice.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
JK Junkie

Was getting the itch to pull the plug on the Goodyears so i checked who had them and for how much....and found out that the MTR's are sold out everywhere and are on a Nationwide backorder...
Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

I was told there was 60 day wait from Discount Tire Direct for 35x12.5 MTR/ks a couple weeks ago, so I went with Nitto Trail Grapplers as recommended by their rep. I am very happy so far.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

If you don't mind could you tell me if the trail grapplers actually measure the 35" or close to it or do they run small?
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Well, straight out the horses mouth... I called BF Goodrich directly and they say theres a higher demand for other BFG tires, so the KM2s are lower priority.

I was also torn between the two (KM2s or MTR Kevlar) ... looks like availibility made my decision for me.

Quick Reply: KM2 or MTR with kevlar??