Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

land use and gas pipe lines are they public?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default land use and gas pipe lines are they public?

Today I was out in rural PA and saw a major gas pipe line (at least 100 ft wide) there was no gate so I drove down it (in first gear!!!!). This dude rides up in a four wheeler and starts yelling at me and takes a pic of my license plate. He says it's posted and I could get fined $300. It's up a road I have lived on most of my life, so I say OK.....Sorry, I guess I'll have to pay it.

My question is, isn't a gas line a public easment. We ride snowmobiles on them in the winter all the time. I was totally cool with the guy and if i'm wrong then oh well. Let me know if you know, not what you think.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitbombs
Today I was out in rural PA and saw a major gas pipe line (at least 100 ft wide) there was no gate so I drove down it (in first gear!!!!). This dude rides up in a four wheeler and starts yelling at me and takes a pic of my license plate. He says it's posted and I could get fined $300. It's up a road I have lived on most of my life, so I say OK.....Sorry, I guess I'll have to pay it.

My question is, isn't a gas line a public easment. We ride snowmobiles on them in the winter all the time. I was totally cool with the guy and if i'm wrong then oh well. Let me know if you know, not what you think.

Thanks
Was there a trail you were following along the pipeline? I know most pipelines I have driven on have a trail along the side of the Right-of-way and signs posted with WARNING and type of gas pipeline (sour or sweet) at road & pipeline crossings/junctions. However, I have never seen a NO TRESPASSING sign on a pipeline around Alberta and BC. Most Pipelines are found in the Green zones Publicly owned land.

You could have returned fire at him with driving his quad on the pipeline that he was trespassing. I have a feeling you drove up on his hunting stand and got all pissy that you probably spooked the deer in the area.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live right by the pipeline here in NE PA. The land is owned by private owners but the gas company has a right of way to use it. It is not public access in any way. Some people dont care if you use it others do.

The guy on the quad my have permission of or be the owner.

Here they are almost always gated.

Still no reason for the guy to be a dick to you.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The pipeline right of way means that the pipeline company can install and maintain the pipeline. If the pipeline is across public lands, then the pipeline is public access. So you can walk on the pipeline on PA State Games lands, or State Forest lands because it is public access land. If the pipeline is across private land, then the landowner can control access to that land. But he cannot keep the pipeline owners off the right of way. You will find plenty of pipelines and power lines in PA that cross farmer's fields and are fenced off to keep cattle inside (and your Jeep outside).

Since pipeline often cross forested areas, those pipelines "become" de facto public access only because the land owners (timber companies) do care if you use the land. But they could restrict access if they chose to do so. Even on public land, the State agency that manages the land can restrict travel on the pipelines or power lines.

On Laurel ridge above Johnstown, PA, there is both a power line and a pipeline on State Game lands. The Game Commission allows travel on the "road" that follows the pipeline. But part of the power line is marked by the Game Commission as no vehicular travel.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 AM
JK Jedi

I think you'll have to check and see what the status of this particular line is.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default my bad

I was in the wrong, absolutly, but, he could have marked the open road as "no vehicles". I was very nice and said I would accept the fine, I was there on the land and made no effort to run from him. it suckes cause I grew up there and have hunted on that land my whole life. I don't see what the huge deal was He could have just warned me not ran up taking pictures of my jeep (probably thought it was cool), but again I was wrong. He probably has a meth lab up there.....LOL.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hitbombs
I was in the wrong, absolutly, but, he could have marked the open road as "no vehicles". I was very nice and said I would accept the fine, I was there on the land and made no effort to run from him. it suckes cause I grew up there and have hunted on that land my whole life. I don't see what the huge deal was He could have just warned me not ran up taking pictures of my jeep (probably thought it was cool), but again I was wrong. He probably has a meth lab up there.....LOL.
I would not agree to the fine. For him to fine you it would have had to be posted as "No Trespassing". Since there we no signs a warning is all you can be given. After a written warning you could be fined later if you went there again, but not first.

Quick Reply: land use and gas pipe lines are they public?