Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leather steering wheel skins

Old 10-25-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I'm currently rocking.. in interested in this thread. I will probably end up going with an aftermarket quick release wheel and ditch the airbag...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2737623871.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	659677  
Old 10-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Here's what I'm currently rocking.. in interested in this thread. I will probably end up going with an aftermarket quick release wheel and ditch the airbag...
LOL!!! Holy sh*t Chuck!!! That steering wheel definitely has some custom personality.

I'm going to bet there's a good story behind that look. Just knowing you're a medic and full of ingenuity and tying your recent episode together. I'm going with Chuck's angle grinder slipped, gashed your leg and Chuck springs into action, by biting into his steering wheel, shreads the leather off it, tearing it into strips and creates a make shift turnicate on the fly all while wheeling through a mud hole at Moab to save drowning puppies.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-25-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I use a wheelskins on a previous vehicle and was happy. Quality product and nice that you can customize the look. No cover is every going to be the same as the factory, but it's cost effective and simple. Also, it would probably do well on that steering wheel since the 4 small posts will be easy to stitch around.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on wheelskins Took some time to lace it up but it looks factory and is way more durable.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Redline made me a custom shift boot because I couldn't stand that big ugly elephant nutbag that came with the jeep. It's a very nice piece and has held up flawlessly for the last 5 years of abuse. I plan on using them for a steering wheel cover when I wear through the stock one.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I ordered the wheelskins cover, waiting for it to arrive.

Anyone have any pics with the wheelskins installed? I read on Amazon, one review said there was a pretty large gap between the laced seems.

Originally Posted by Amazon Review
3.0 out of 5 stars

Don't buy if you expect a perfect fit
By Butch on November 7, 2015
Verified Purchase
Hopefully this review will help someone else.
Before purchasing this cover for my '08 Jeep Wrangler I tried to find out if the cover fit snugly around the entire wheel after lacing it up. Unfortunately I received zero responses but decided to purchase one anyway because of my experience with these covers. To my great disappointment the cover does not fit properly and no matter how tight you get the stitching you will be left with a sizable gap around the entire wheel. For some this is probably not a huge deal but for me it is. I love the feel of the cover compared to the stock wheel but hate the gap.
Oh yeah, be sure to wear gloves when when tightening the stitches.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-27-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No gap at all on my 2011 Rubi installed right over the factory leather wheel
Old 11-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

I got the Wheelskin leather cover, I finally got a chance to install it last night.

This is a good quality leather cover. Installation, while not difficult it is very tedious. It took me the entire duration of the Sunday Night football game to complete.

For anyone doing this install, here's a tip that I picked up which was a great tip. Get a bright color paint marker (white or yellow) and dab the puntured holes from the inside where the string gets sewn through. Once you start sewing and making your way around, finding the location of these holes can sometimes be difficult. Having a bright colored dot makes this problem go away so none of the holes can hide which can screw this job up if you skip any of them and you don't want to have to go back and try to fix it after you notice a problem.

Here's what it looks like. The seems fit perfect together. Just pull the string tight as you're sewing, it won't break.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That cover looks better than the factory one! Is there padding in it to cover up a minor 'low' spot in my wheel? It's not near what Chuck has.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That cover looks better than the factory one! Is there padding in it to cover up a minor 'low' spot in my wheel? It's not near what Chuck has.
No padding. The backside is the back of the leather, suede. However, It's a fairly thick leather, not much less than about 1/8" thick, so it should be able to hide some imperfections. If they're deep holes, probably wrapping some electric tape around the wheel under the skin would do the trick. It will hide the thickness of electrical tape for sure.

If you look at the upper left of the pic, you will see where the original leather seem shows through slightly. You really have to stare at it to even notice it. So it hides that thickness pretty well, just to give you an idea.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-07-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Leather steering wheel skins