Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Leather vs Cloth Seats

Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thanks for the input it has been very helpful
Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by whiterave
Also I will be hauling young children to and fro, do these leather seats hold up well or would cloth be better?
I have a 13 yo, and a 10 month old. No problem. Honestly, if they offered leather carpeting I would probably buy that also , because the carpeting in my JK is about the only thing that I worry about when it comes to spills and any other kid's mess.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll

I have a 13 yo, and a 10 month old. No problem. Honestly, if they offered leather carpeting I would probably buy that also , because the carpeting in my JK is about the only thing that I worry about when it comes to spills and any other kid's mess.
Just remove the carpet completely and when ur kids spill something, pull the drain plugs and hose it out lol
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

To touch on the waterproofing of the seats leather vs cloth....I just got my 2012 jk in may....cloth seats. I was rained on 5 times since then ( you'd think I'd learn and check the weather network). 15mins after the sun came out, my seats were as dry as the day I go it. I don't know if the newer jeeps come with a plastic wrap In between the foam and the fabric, or what....but I have yet to experience "wet sponge seat".
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

All that to say, i would suggest cloth over leather. When it comes down to it......it's a jeep
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

How is the katzkins leather different from the standard leather?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

It is a finer leather, thicker and softer. However, to be honest, the fit was not as I expected. It is not as tight as some leather seats...not sloppy, just not as tight as luxury cars. And yes...I know it's a Jeep.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will it hold up under weather conditions like the standard leather? Or would it be damaged.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whiterave
How is the katzkins leather different from the standard leather?
Hard to tell unless you open up a standard seat and feel the material used. Having installed a Katzkin leather set, it feels tougher and thicker than standard leather. Given the tight fit, the brute effort to pull, push and curse while getting them on, they're very well made and stitched and don't rip during the install.

Regarding water damage / wet seats, etc In an overly enthusiastic "test" of newly installed snorkel I barrelled way too fast through a water hole - a muddy wave drenched me and the interior, the water just ran off the leather, a (clean) wet rag wiped the crud off and the seats quickly sun dried.

Yeah, it's a Jeep. It's also my daily driver and family hauler. Leather seats have been a great addition.

The headrests went on later :

Midway through cursing :
Old 09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by J.cyr8
All that to say, i would suggest cloth over leather. When it comes down to it......it's a jeep
That's right....it's a Jeep.....So why the hell did they ever put cloth seats in a Jeep? They need to get that garbage out of there since it never belonged in there.

Seat on the left Leather, seat on the right cloth. One of them says "Jeep" and the other one doesn't.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-06-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Leather vs Cloth Seats