Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is this legal? Light question

Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this legal? Light question

Just got a ticket in California from the highway patrol for my lights. 4wheelparts swore up and down when I got them that no covers were required. violation was 24411. Anybody know who is right (highway patrol or 4wheel parts) and whether I should fight it in court or just pay $130 fine?

Thanks, Here is a picture of the lights:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know, but your jeep looks sweet
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

you deserved it sorry to say.. any light that is above the headlights have to be covered... so the top two lights are the ones that got you the ticket.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Try bringing the ticket into 4wp and ask for covers for free because you have to pay the ticket and the swore to you that you didn't need them...

P.S. Don't know the laws about lights there.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you have all of those lights turned on when you were pulled over or is this just the kind of crap that cops do in states like California?

At the very least, you can sleep well at night knowing that the police have eliminated crime in your hometown to the point that they have little to do but hassle hard working tax paying citizens about their choice of automotive accessories.

What's that rectangular thing with lettering on it below your winch? We don't have them on our front bumpers here in Alabama. . . .
Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they get you for the lights that are mounted on top of the light bar?

If so it might be because they are above your headlights and classified as off-road lights and not driving lights.

I think I remember something to this effect for CA.

Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

no warning for such a violation seems kinda minor to me . unless u had them on and blinding everyone or something
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

Look at the two boxes before the CVC section on the ticket...Is it checked correctable ? If checked "yes" then its only a fix-it ticket...get it signed off(if you know a cop buddy) in the back and mail in $10, if not.. pay the $$$ fine.

Thats a nice Jeep!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by k9driver
24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

Look at the two boxes before the CVC section on the ticket...Is it checked correctable ? If checked "yes" then its only a fix-it ticket...get it signed off(if you know a cop buddy) in the back and mail in $10, if not.. pay the $$$ fine.

Thats a nice Jeep!
Thanks for the compliment and tip. The correctable box is checked! I will get it signed off after I pick up my free light covers from 4wheel parts.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's that rectangular thing with lettering on it below your winch? We don't have them on our front bumpers here in Alabama. . . . [/QUOTE]

That is so they can charge more for the vehicle licensing fee.
Extra plate = extra money!
"I used to live in the Communist state of New York, which also has 2 tags. Luckily I escaped!"

And just for the record. I think he needs more lights!

Quick Reply: Is this legal? Light question