Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lets Discuss - Building a D60, cause I am cheap

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Discuss - Building a D60, cause I am cheap

Ok, here is the scenario. I have the chance to snatch up a front D60 and Rear D60 from the boneyard for less then 300. its good to have friends. Now, lets say I have a friend who is a fabricater and welder.

what all would have to be done to make the D60 work? Yes I am cheap by nature, but if I have the chance to build 2 D60's for less then 1500, wouldn't you do it.

I dont want to hear how its unreasonable, cause its not. but I am looking to create civil and topic based discussion.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Well first you'd need to know why they wouldn't work right now right?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

I have looked over the jk parts diagram pdf, and I can't find anything about a sensor on the axle or axle shafts other then the ABS/wheel sensor by the brakes. If this was the case, I could simply add those in by using stock brake brackets or something similar.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

PM's have been sent to both.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Front: You will basically need "tone ring" hubs. Venders who build JK axles can supply you with these hubs. Other than that, you will need some JK suspension brackets. Either build your own, or purchase them from an online vender. Search for them; they exist.

Rear: There is a company coming out with a full floater (D60FF, D70FF, 14FF) JK speed sensor kit, but I have no idea when it'll come out. I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest. If you go semi float, you'll probably be able to do the something similar to the front solution (purchase parts from an axle builder).

You will most likely also need different wheels being as they are most likely 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

What year are these axles?

-edit: You will also need to take care of steering, and rebuild both axles. You will also need gears and lockers. Up front, you will have 35 spline inner axles, and 30 spline outer axles, with the [weaker] Ford knuckles. The axles and knuckles don't NEED to be replaced, unless you really give it alot of abuse. Now, in theory you don't actually NEED to regear if they match. You also don't NEED lockers right off the bat. No offense though (just being honest), but I don't see $1500 happening. I have built 1-tons multiple times and have never built any for less than 2K. And, for what it's worth, I didn't have the JK tone rings and suspension to worry about. Mine bolted right in, on an old Chevy. More power to ya if you get it down to $1500 though.

Last edited by American; 12-06-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: incomplete

Quick Reply: Lets Discuss - Building a D60, cause I am cheap