Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Let's talk the new interior 2011+

Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '09 that I traded in for a 2011. The dealership called me every couple of weeks for a couple months before I let them talk me into but the major reason I traded in the '09 was the cheap materials used in the interior.

I scratched the inside of the door within a week of buying the '09. My iPhone, which I kept leaning in the compartment at the base of the dash, in front of the shifter, really tore the plastic up there. Scratches at the base of the window from my watch.. All sorts of normal 'wear and tear' that happened a LOT sooner than I expected. I drove a dodge truck for almost ten years and it's interior didn't show that level of wear after a decade.

I remember reading a press release from Jeep when they announced the new interior and part of it stated that they'd listened to their customers and made the interior of more durable materials. I went to a car show and saw some on display and sat in one and did a 'test scratch' with my fingernail... It didn't leave a mark. The same thing on my '09 would have left a scar.

I also really like the controls on the steering wheel. The ones on the back can be a little sensitive - I've hit them when making a big turn - but all in all they are a big convenience. The USB and power plug in the center console are very nice. The little spots to hold the bolts and such when I remove the hard top sure beat putting those bolts in the cup holder!

I do miss the small storage space that was in front of the shifter because it held my iPhone well but all the other changes make up for it in my mind.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

here are a few pics of my 2011 2 door rubicon with leather seats.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Espo78
Can someone elaborate on some of the interior features? I've done some research but some things just aren't mentioned well enough on the Jeep site. I've read that they come with a power inverter and AC power outlet. Is that all trim levels or just the sahara/rubicon? I've read the AC outlet in the back is only there if you have a subwoofer but I've also read about another AC outlet in the front of the center console. I'm not talking about the USB or 12v DC outlet inside the console. I am just trying to verify what I've read online, I don't remember seeing an AC outlet during my test drive but I wasn't looking for one either.

Are there any other cool features that someone may not know about unless you own one?
I think some of the features are moved around and/or added or deleted depending if you have a 2 dr or a 4 dr. Of course, "standard" trim levels differ by grade upgrade. I recall them having a lot of that info on their corporate website. That being said, I can tell you what a 2 dr. Rubicon has, but have no clue what a 4 dr. Rubicon has, I can't compare to what I don't know.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Espo78
Can someone elaborate on some of the interior features? I've done some research but some things just aren't mentioned well enough on the Jeep site. I've read that they come with a power inverter and AC power outlet. Is that all trim levels or just the sahara/rubicon? I've read the AC outlet in the back is only there if you have a subwoofer but I've also read about another AC outlet in the front of the center console. I'm not talking about the USB or 12v DC outlet inside the console. I am just trying to verify what I've read online, I don't remember seeing an AC outlet during my test drive but I wasn't looking for one either.

Are there any other cool features that someone may not know about unless you own one?
I have a 2011 Sport 2 Door and the interior is much nicer than my '07 and '08. My bare bones Sport has a plain black cloth interior. Major changes from front to back:

-Built in dash tray on top of the stereo, much deeper than the Daystar panel I added on my '07

-Little cubby space in between the dash vents in the center, perfect for ID card or change.

-New climate control knobs that feel much better than the old style

-Nice chunky steering wheel, (non-leather), with controls on the front for cruise/compass/fuel economy, suprise rear stereo controls on the back.

-Passenger seat (2-door) that goes much, much farther forward on the track giving me more than double the space to get in the back seat.

-Center console has 2 latches one opens the top tray, other opens the console. Mine (Sport) has a 12V power outlet inside of the console. Also a "paperclip" on the underside of the lid where I stick my registration.

-Front and rear headrests are still sort of hard, but much softer than the rock hard '07 heradrests

-Rear taligate has metal arm/stop to hold it open (huge plus)

-Hartop has much better visibility with bigger windows than my '07 & '08

Biggest plus is that the plastic on all surfaces are much more resistant to scratches and look much better than previous years.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=armycop;2584442-Rear taligate has metal arm/stop to hold it open (huge plus) /QUOTE]

I've had a 2011 and now a 2012 and I didn't know that feature was there. Where is that at?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
here are a few pics of my 2011 2 door rubicon with leather seats.

I notice you have Natural Pearl green, is that the only interior colour you could get?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
JK Freak

Ya you know, I really wanted to go with blcak interior, but it was not an option at least not up here in Canada, I think it would have looked cool natural green pearl coat and black inside, but the saddle leather beige or what ever its called, has grown on me and I like it fine...

these pics do seem to make it pop a little more than it does in real life
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
Ya you know, I really wanted to go with blcak interior, but it was not an option at least not up here in Canada, I think it would have looked cool natural green pearl coat and black inside, but the saddle leather beige or what ever its called, has grown on me and I like it fine...

these pics do seem to make it pop a little more than it does in real life

Where bouts are you? I'm in ON...
Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Vancouver B.C. I ordered it back in Dec of 2010 it arrived in like Feb 2011, my dealer was a dick, and was over worked or something but I asked for black interior, and he said not an option,
Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Newbie

Seats are much more comfortable compared to the older JK. The radio control buttons on the steering wheel are a great addition also. Overall the interior is just sleek looking with the all black.

Quick Reply: Let's talk the new interior 2011+