Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lift Install

Old 11-30-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Install

Who on here has actually installed there own lift kit. I ordered my RE 3.5 Superflex yesterday. I'm a very cappable DIYer but by no means a mechanic. I have the tools, I have the jacks and jack stands. Just don't have the confidence to start tearing apart my new jeeps suspension. I've done all the reading on the subject.

How easy was it for everyone else. Maybe just need a lil "go for it" motivation!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did mine by myself (twice... first a BB, then a coil lift with flex arms) I am no mechanic, but i have some tools and a curiosity/drive to do things for myself. Sometimes that gets me in hot water, but the lift went well, it just took me a long time as i went slow and double/triple checked everything as I went.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I did mine by myself (twice... first a BB, then a coil lift with flex arms) I am no mechanic, but i have some tools and a curiosity/drive to do things for myself. Sometimes that gets me in hot water, but the lift went well, it just took me a long time as i went slow and double/triple checked everything as I went.
Completely understand!!!! Drive + Hot Water=
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

With 1/2 an ounce of mechanical aptitude you should have no problem doing it. As mentioned, go through some walkthroughs here to familiarize yourself with the process and take your time. I'm totally guilty of not doing it myself but only because I'm a lazy bastard and I only paid 1hr labour for someone to do it for me.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Eternal ***erator

I read the 4" Full traction and Tera lift installs until i knew the steps by heart, knew what i needed etc. but then i did it while i waas researching what i wanted. I am glad i did because i learned a LOT about my suspension and i know where theings go and how they work and interrelate now far better than i ever did. i would highly recommend doing these things yourself or with a competent buddy, it is invaluable experience.

whatcha gonna do if it breaks on the trail? you cant call the install garage to come fix it, your on your own. IMO better to know up front than then.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not quite a lift kit but i put rubi springs and shocks from a 4dr/hardtop/tow package onto my 2dr x and it was a breeze. gained an inch and a much better ride off road.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
not quite a lift kit but i put rubi springs and shocks from a 4dr/hardtop/tow package onto my 2dr x and it was a breeze. gained an inch and a much better ride off road.
close enough, toss in the arms & bumpstops and your there.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

I'd give yourself two days for a full kit. I did mine in one day, but all of one day.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the I guess I'll just take it step by step. Pics will come after the first or when I'm
Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am certainly not mechanically gifted, don't do it for a living and don't have a something that resembles a shop, but I've installed a couple of lift kits in my Jeeps over the years.

It is a great learning experience as everyone says and you will gain understanding of how your Jeep works, but if this is your first lift, I suggest that you take it to a qualified offroad shop for inspection and alignment afterwards.

They can spot potential trouble areas or something that you did not install or torque properly quite easily since they work on Jeeps every day.

Also, inspect your Jeep for loose or worn joints before you install the kit. It may save you some headaches aferwards such as DW.

Quick Reply: Lift Install