Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lift, wheels and tire choice......HELP PLEASE!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift, wheels and tire choice......HELP PLEASE!

In December I purchased a 2009 JK Wrangler Unlimited X. I'm new to jeep ownership. She's stock, basic, 6-speed manual and of course 4x4. I have the funds set aside for upgrades, i.e. Lift, tires, rims and new fastback soft top. After weeks of research, I thought that I had settled on 35" Nitto Grappler M/T's on 20" Rockstar rims with a 3" lift. Then I came across 37's on 22's. Aargh! So many sweet choices! I won't to do it right the first time with no regrets. Suggestions on one versus the other. My main use is daily travel with light off-roading And a multi use soft top. Please!

Thanks
Old 02-20-2016, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsanclemente
In December I purchased a 2009 JK Wrangler Unlimited X. I'm new to jeep ownership. She's stock, basic, 6-speed manual and of course 4x4. I have the funds set aside for upgrades, i.e. Lift, tires, rims and new fastback soft top. After weeks of research, I thought that I had settled on 35" Nitto Grappler M/T's on 20" Rockstar rims with a 3" lift. Then I came across 37's on 22's. Aargh! So many sweet choices! I won't to do it right the first time with no regrets. Suggestions on one versus the other. My main use is daily travel with light off-roading And a multi use soft top. Please!

Thanks
35 on 17's with a 2.5 lift. 37's start to require more sxpencive mods and more then just a lift kit. ( rockstars are gross )
Old 02-20-2016, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as regrets go, having 37/22 or 35/20, is like marrying a stripper.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

I'd stick with the 35s, 37s you're going to need more mods.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd suggest a 2.5" suspension lift, 35" tire on 17" or 18" wheels, and regear to an axle ratio of 4:10 or lower (numerically higher).

With 35's and a lift, expect a 25% minimum drop in fuel mileage, no matter what. Also, the stock gearing is woefully inadequate for that size tire. 4:10 is what I'd consider bare minimum for having usable power with the 3.8L V6.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Wheels and tires are always a matter of opinion.

That being said I have to agree, it's a Jeep, 17s are the way to go, more rubber less wheel. Plus the wheels and tires are considerably cheaper.

Branch out in the wheel search. Wheels aren't cheep, so make sure you get something you will want to keep for a long time. I know it is challenging, but if there is a wheel you like better, for a bit more money, then hold out and buy the one you really want.

2.5in. Lift and 35s is a great combo. Do as much research as possible before buying. I wish I had gotten a little more lift out of my springs, and will undoubtably be swapping springs when I add the rear bumper. Plan ahead, more weight makes for less lift, so if you plan on adding weight as I have, then get springs set up for that.

Also, same for the lift as the wheels, it's better to hold out a bit longer for the better lift. You won't regret it.

Happy Jeeping!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-23-2016, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
That being said I have to agree, it's a Jeep, 17s are the way to go, more rubber less wheel. Plus the wheels and tires are considerably cheaper.
Not only high availability and relatively lower cost, but bigger sidewalls are better for offroad, IMHO (on a properly robust tire). There's a reason big sidewalls and little wheels are seen throughout history on Jeep builds--because it works. It's not the greatest for on-road handling, but if you're also lifting and putting in heavier-duty springs, the bigger sidewalls can help soften a really harsh ride. Big sidewalls aren't the best for on-road handling, but, Jeeps aren't rocket ships and should be driven accordingly.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Programmer

I would Budget at least $200 for a programer. You can center your steering wheel and New tire diameter in after your mods. It will save you a lot of headache. Plus they offer more features like Winching mode and DRL etc.....
Old 02-24-2016, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Thanks
Thanks for all the input. 3" lift with only 35s sounds like the way to go. I'll post pics when done. I'm still leaning towards the 20" rims.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mileage

Thanks
I expect decreased fuel efficiency with the larger rims and tires.

Quick Reply: Lift, wheels and tire choice......HELP PLEASE!