Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To the limit...

Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To the limit...

Personally I don't think I will ever take the Rubi rock climbing simply because I'm not the out doors person as some that have a Jeep claim to be. I have had mostly Hondas in the past and have a modified Acura TL that have raced on a closed circuit to see what where the results of my upgrades and can say that I was surprised that a CAI will do so much as a short shifter and a few other little things.
The Rubicon I love because is a different type of vehicle I've ever owned and has opened up the posibilities that I may go "off road" one day.
Looking at some of the threads and seeing what the Rubi can do makes me want to go out and find the nearest mountain but then again after I saw some of the pictures of some of the vehicles that have climbed over rock ( dented rock rails, dented mufflers, scratched paint..etc) I get that feeling that I like to stay on the ground and leave the rcok climbing to goats....
If this is your 1st Jeep or do you have an older one that abuse off road....excuse me enjoy off road...what's your take on this...
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

just curious as to why you bought the Rubicon if you dont ever want to take it off road. You could have saved thousands of dollars by going with a sahara or an X. If you just like the look of the bigger tires on the rubi you could have bought the cheaper jeep without all the hardcore off road accessories and put the mud terrains on and still saved thousands and had a jeep that looks the exact same.

Sorry, but im scratching my head on this one. I take mine off road and have an X. You dont and have a Rubicon. You wanna trade me??
Old 01-06-2007, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

The basic sense of the word, off road means something that is not paved. You see the carnage of the trails and rocks that some people traverse, but that is their choice to do that. To go off road also includes much less aggressive trails, hills, puddles, and small rocks that will give you the root feeling of the Jeep experience without the carnage, but with all the adrenaline rush. If you hit a few light trails and start with some small obstacles that you feel comfortable with and go slow you will really have a good time. Just remember to start small and try to go with someone else, on the chance you do get stuck.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Default Hold on...

Hold on my new-to- Jeepin' friend. ...While you may not want to take your new Rubi up in the rocks for a crawl and I wouldn't advise that you do if you're new to the hobby, there's a ton of great Jeepin' to be had on fire roads, back country by-ways (Google: Steens Mountain - a long way from you but one of the greatest drives there is) Not everybody is a rock crawler. Remember we mentioned join a club? Well, most clubs have runs (outings) for newer members which if you're careful won't rip,scratch or dent your new ride. But what the hell, if you never go off road you still have a great rig and the desire/funds to mod it up. Why don't you put a blower on it? Now that would scream like a raped ape.
See: www.Avengersuperchargers.com
Old 01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Guys thanks for the replies but really the wife was the one who did the research on the Rubi and I was taken from my nap to go and test drive the vehicle once arrived at the local dealer.
I wanted the FJ but like I said in previous threads, the ride and options on the Rubi surpassed the FJ , 200 fold.
I'm just now realizing the many "features/ capabilities" that the Rubicon has and it makes me feel as if I wondered off to buy a sling shot and ended up with a bazooka......the potential is there but like me I wondered if anyone else fell in my shoes and bought their Jeep for one thing and not for true off road thrill...

biglynny..........saved the site as a fav...maybe you got something there....:toung:

Last edited by HEK; 01-06-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I Bought the Rubi and HEK I honestly don't know what type of wheelin I'm gonna do. I am in wyoming and have the whole spectrum of wheelin available. bottom line is that if I decide to go and get extreme I have the ride to do it in. I think if I was going to go to the ultimate extreme I would have done as suggested many times on this forum and bought an X then mod the HEK out of it with the saved funds. But Rubi = very good out of the box playability.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

At least take her out and play in the mud or at a minimum the local high school football field on a rainy day.

Note: I do not advise trespassing or damage to others property. If you do so, I am not responsible.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

He must have the spare cash for it Good for you!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is an interesting thread and an interesting question; we’ve seen it debated in subtle ways in other threads.

Both my wife and I wanted a Wrangler but it never quite filled our needs, then we found the Unlimited JK.

When we originally went to the dealer in early September I was looking for a 2-door ‘X’ with no added features, I was trying to be practical. It didn’t take long and my wife rolled her eyes and said, “You know you want the Rubicon, order the Rubicon”. Of course being a human being with testicles when given the green light, I ordered the Rubicon.

I see it that there are two types of off-road people. There are the “It’s the journey, not the destination” and the “It’s the destination, I’ll do what I need to.”

I will never be looking for the deepest mud hole, or the biggest rocks to roll over. My goal is the clear alpine lake that offers the choicest fly-fishing. Some of the best lakes and streams require that you either walk or you have a seriously capable truck (Jeep Rubicon). I am going to have the capable truck.

I just smile to myself when I read some of the threads that try to tear down the Rubicon and suggest it’s a waste of money. The suggestion is that you can buy an ‘X’ and make it better than a Rubicon for less money. Of course you can, but not all of us are looking to build the ultimate boulder crawling, mud-eating machine. Wranglers are the ultimate off road vehicle and the Rubicon is cream of the crop, for some of us that’s all we’re looking for.

To HEK I say, enjoy your Jeep and explore its capabilities. You may find that you get the itch and you want to explore those far off destinations. Whether it is the destination or the journey, it’s your truck and have fun with it.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

You said it ..........Beel !!

Quick Reply: To the limit...