Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To Lock or Not to Lock That is the Question

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I generally don't lock with my softtop on. The exception is if it was necessary to leave something valuable in it, and I'm parked in a busy location, I will lock it if I can't keep an eye on it. I avoid situations where I have valuables in the Jeep, but don't feel that I can lock it (such as dark, out-of-the-way parking lots with little traffic).

BTW: I do lock my tailgate. I keep certain things in the storage cubby (winch controller, air hose, etc). This includes my vehicle insurance and registration information. I figure most thieves won't know to look there.
I bought a TRUNK MONKEY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

I lock my console, glove box, and tailgate. If I'm in a crazy busy place, I'll lock the doors. The way I see it, if you run into a smart thief (no such thing), they'll just unzip your windows anyway. If they want in, they're gonna get in, no matter what you do.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I lock mine! Why make it any easier for them? If they want it... it's already theirs!

Cheers!

BB
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackbeard
I lock mine! Why make it any easier for them? If they want it... it's already theirs!

Cheers!

BB
They'll get in - why go through the trouble of fixing the crap they break? Yeah, they'll get in, so let them, don't leave anything they can steal and you're fine and nothing gets broken. I say make it easier to get in, get an alarm if you can to make a slightly better chance of catching them and don't get your stuff broken in the process.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can say that a bit easier - my signature doesn't say Sony, MTX, MyGIG, SatNav, amp, box or anything anyone would want to steal. They can have my stock deck if they want - I'd like to upgrade anyway.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Junkie

It seems the less I have on the Jeep the less people mess with it. When I run without doors and top no one seems to mess with it. Possibly because they can see in and realize there is nothing worth stealing (unless they want a $40 CB).
Old 03-18-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

well for the habit of locking my car? just because i like pressing the lock button on my key pad. like how "Alt_phil" said.

I dont have to worry about any knifes slicing my softtop cause i got a hardtop on, and if they want it that bad..their gonna have to try hard to get in. Not my fault they dont make a living to buy there own jeep, so they go out there way to steal one.

plus im a full student, so theres valuable items in my car that cost money. so lets try to keep the thiefs out for now! lmao
Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the soft top I almost always lock the glove box and center console. Also, with the doors off it's almost impossible to get the tailgate unlocked without the key fob. The only lock switches are on the front doors...so that secures the rear compartment fairly well. With the doors on I do feel a bit better with the alarm set when I'll be in earshot.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

I lock my Tuffy drawer when the top is off. No one is getting in it with easily.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look mine, even with doors and top down too. I'm going to make it as hard as I can on them. Plus your gate locks and it's a bitch to get stuff out with my soft top down.

Quick Reply: To Lock or Not to Lock That is the Question