Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lost my brakes in my JK!!!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeperson
Hey pal.... I am not trying to be an asshole. If I wanted to be an asshole I wouldn't have to try, I would just be an asshole. And you are right, the brakes still worked but when you expect to stop like the vehicle normally should and it doesn't, not because somebody made a mistake but because someone obviously broke my shit and tried to cover it up with some bull shit half-ass fix that put me and my family in danger. This is not some simple mistake. I am NOT sue happy, just very upset. If someone can be fined for wreckless driving, I think the same should apply for negligent mechanics who put other people at risk because they cut corners on repairs. I have been very patient with these people and it has got me nowhere. I am going to wash my hands of these folks. I will file a complaint with Chrysler and the BBB and the only reason I considered legal action is because these people need to be held accountable for this kind of negligence. I agree there was a MISTAKE made by breaking it, but it was NEGLIGENT to cover it up. NOBODY should have to deal with that kind of work. This is a huge dealership with car lots all over the Mountain west. Their problem is they have too much work and they are more worried about volume than quality of work. I know nobody was hurt and I am eternally greatful for that but it is our job as consumers to keep these guys in check.
Yeah, you're right...maybe asshole was a tad strong. But think about this. The mechanic MIGHT have done what he was TOLD. I have seen and worked for some pretty unscrupulous service managers before. Remember, if Chrysler will not pay for a warranty repair, the dealer has to. More specifically, the service and or parts department. Sorry about the asshole comment. All too often, I find myself matchin up with that all too well. LOL I was just tryin to let you know, there may be more sides to this coin. Since this is obviously not your first problem with them, you might be on to somethin. Are there any other dealers close by?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, agreed, that isn't a simple mistake if the dude tried to hide the broken part by doing a botch half assed fix...that is neglegent, sorry I missed that in the original post....
....well, either way, I hope you find a decent resolution to the situation, and yes definately that "mechanic" should get smacked around for that
Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
The mistake I spoke of was the entire situation. Not just the repair. It WAS a mistake to let the Jeep go repaired the way it was. Do you not agree with THAT?
I do!
From what I could deduce the faulty repair was done intentionally. He repaired it wrong and new he was doing so. Hmmm…..forget about a lawyer, just stick his face in your radiator fan good and strong! Every time he looks in the mirror he’ll be reminded why you don’t put families at risk. If you don’t know how to fix it, ask. If you intentionally fix it wrong......enough said.
Hey..hope you all have a great weekend!

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 05-09-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose
Mistake!?!?!? Human Error!?!?!?

A "mistake" would be the dealer scratching your dashboard, or letting your doors open too far so they dent your hood. A mistake is NOT doing a half assed repair job on damage that THEY CAUSED. A botched repair job which could have cost people their lives.
The dealership BROKE something and DID NOT fix it properly. The guy that broke the part KNEW he did something wrong or he wouldn't have tried to fix it with some ghetto half assed effort.
Chalking piss poor service like that up to being a "mistake" is exactly what allows people to continue not doing their job properly.

Please re-read the original post (below) if you really think this was just a "mistake." Is there something I'm not seeing here? I just don't think a guy trying to cover his own ass (as hiteck pointed out) and making a dangerous repair on damage he caused can be chalked up to being a "mistake."

I'm not saying to sue, or file criminal charges on it. I do think that taking it up with Chrysler and letting them know that one of their service departments knowingly damaged a vehicle, didn't fix it properly, and in turn endangered lives, is a must. Chrysler did a world wide brake recall because the brakes "might" go out when coasting up-hill. Do you really think brakes that could fail at ANY time are OK with them?
Well said Goose!
You must be Canadian!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in canada mechanics are licensed and he would have lost his ticket to work on cars and would have faced charges of negligence

One time i was a driver instructor in a military 2 and a 1/2f ton truck the brakes operated via compressed air over oil similar to vacuum assist well the hose coming from the air compressor broke and the mechanic used gum tape to fix it gave his word it would be fine for the 300km drive and that he was a certified truck mechanic during the week (he was a reservist vehicle tech) well he faced military charges, charges from the provincial police and lost his provincial mechanics ticket. 2 1/2 6x6 truck doesn't stop well with out air assist in one of Canada's biggest cities traffic we had to aim for the ditch or drive over a car. fried the emergency brake
and yes there is buzzers and lights to warn that system has failed but at 90kms and hr in one of those it was easy to go unnoticed, it was an eye opener.

glad ur not hurt but this needs to be cleared up to your satisfaction.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
but at 90kms and hr in one of those it was easy to go unnoticed
...wait a tic...I thought the speed limit was 80 km/hr max in military vehicles ...but you weren't an MP right ?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Well said Goose!
You must be Canadian!
Yeah...I don't know how I totally missed that in the original post...sorry for the confusion all...it must have been late

Quick Reply: Lost my brakes in my JK!!!