Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Loud Screeching Noise - Not Idler Pulley or Tensioner Pulley

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Screeching Noise - Not Idler Pulley or Tensioner Pulley

I can't identify an extremely loud, screeching, whining noise coming from my engine bay. It is physically painful to stand next to the engine bay with the hood up.

I have used the search button extensively, and checked both the "list the "WHAT'S THAT NOISE?!?!" fixes you've done" and the "What is this F%@#$*! Noise!" and can't find an answer.

The dealership said that the idler pulley was bent, so I replaced the pulley and put in a new serpentine belt with no change. When this didn't work, I also replaced the pulley in the belt tensioner, also no change.

I recently needed to replace my engine, so the likely cause was either mud exposure or some damage induced when trying to hand-crack a locked engine. Just need to know how to fix it.

Lastly, this whine decreases and sometimes disappears completely immediately after I turn on the A/C. I don't really know what this means, but I'm hoping it will be an indicator to someone.

Thanks for the help, any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by cyruspura; 04-17-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Easy to locate. Get a long 3/8" extension bar and put it on the different things that the drive belt drives. Then hold the other end against your ear. You'll know when you find it.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyruspura
ILastly, this whine decreases and sometimes disappears completely immediately after I turn on the A/C. I don't really know what this means, but I'm hoping it will be an indicator to someone.

Thanks for the help, any and all suggestions are welcome.
It is the a/c compressor pulley, its a magnetic pulley, the outer pulley free wheels around the inner until you turn a/c on, its kinda sad the dealer couldnt figure that out. They should warranty it if they warrantied the other pulleys. A bent idler pully? its plastic I've replaced my idler pulley 4times, tensioner pulley 2, and yeah lucky me the a/c comp. I paid 779 to replace it, part lists for 482. I was out of warranty and the dealer wanted 912 to do it originally but I told them I know they sell the part for 358, so they lowered it. I knew it was the a/c compressor before I brought it in so I knew the price before hand. These pulleys dont like mud/water, but my jeep steers towards it all the time
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
... its kinda sad the dealer couldnt figure that out. They should warranty it if they warrantied the other pulleys. A bent idler pully? its plastic
That's what I said, but they were pretty insistent. I'll take it in ASAP, I'm under warranty so they should still cover it.

Thanks for all the help, it's amazing how fast you can get answers on this Forum.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cyruspura
That's what I said, but they were pretty insistent. I'll take it in ASAP, I'm under warranty so they should still cover it.

Thanks for all the help, it's amazing how fast you can get answers on this Forum.
no problem, if you want to prove it to them, have someone sit in jeep turn a/c off and on and then have mechanic or service manager watch the outer pulley and inner lock up when you turn it on and the noise will change
Old 04-17-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same noise, but have not found it. I was thinking it could be the Power steering pump or the alternator. The alternator I was quoted was from the stealer $ 342.00
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by heepenjim
I have the same noise, but have not found it. I was thinking it could be the Power steering pump or the alternator. The alternator I was quoted was from the stealer $ 342.00
by same noise do you mean it comes and goes when you turn a/c off and on? have you played in the mud? the pulleys do not like mud, it could be the idler pulley if it doesnt change when you turn air on and off. the idler pulleys are cheap and you can get them at napa for 18bucks, and takes 3min to change. If you are out of warranty I would try that first if it doesnt change with a/c on
Old 04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

A/C is off. And yes was in the mud/water. I know not a good thing to do.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by heepenjim
A/C is off. And yes was in the mud/water. I know not a good thing to do.
what you crazy, of course it is

check out this thread, and like I said its prolly the idler pulley, my jeep loves mud so I've replaced mine a number of times haha there is also someone who took theirs off and took off the center ring(didnt know you could do it till he tried) then cleaned and repacked with grease, though he hasnt tried it on the jeep yet since he bought a new one.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I have never had this happen with mud and water yet but their is always a first. And best of luck to you on yours hope it all works out. I will pick one up on my way home.

Quick Reply: Loud Screeching Noise - Not Idler Pulley or Tensioner Pulley