Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual or Automatic for heavy wheeling

Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKSahara2008
i thought i could contribute to this thread....im in the army and every military vehicle ive seen including humvees are automatic. i have driven through every type of terrain here in afghanistan and must say it would have been more difficult doing it in a manual transmission. i have an auto in my JK which i will see for the first time when i get home from afghanistan in 4 days hope this helps....
The military uses auto's to keep it simple, we have enough other things to worry about while in combat. Ever look at a Javelin or NBC gear they all have pictures with the instructions to help out during the fog of war. I thought it was quite funny the first time I got into a 5 ton and saw ALL of the instructions written every where in the cab.

Hurry home and enjoy that new JK
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual in the rubi goes well with the 4:1 transfercase, put it in first and Lo and let it crawl all day long all by its self. A manual makes it more interesting on hard rock crawling. And you need to due more maintance on the auto's like drain and refill every 20-30,000 miles.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

When we where going to order the new Jeep, I wanted the 6 speed real bad but my wife wanted the Auto, now that we have it and I have taken it out a few times I am so glad she got what she wanted, The auto is awesome off road, you can really keep a slow crawl up the rocks and makes it like I am cheating. Love it.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ewok
I prefer Manual!
what he said
Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

It really comes down to what you prefer. Would you rather have your jeep's manual clutch go out because you used it in mud/water or would you rather have your jeep burn up on the side of the highway because the atf overheated.

I choose burning up on the side of the highway. Atleast thats covered by insurance.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

thanks all.. I pulled the trigger and bought an Automatic 4 Door Rubicon last night. Looking forward to the first wheeling trip.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I was going to be the sole driver, I would go with the stick even though i do not have a lot of experience driving a stick. However, my wife will want to drive the jeep at times and she has never driven a manual transmission on any type of vehicle. I don't have the patience to teach her, so when we get a Jeep it will be an auto.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

hardcore wheeling buy a tj 01-03 get a manual long arm dana 60 s cage and beat the piss out of it. better and way cheaper and a tj will let you drive also.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I drove the auto and stick , and the auto just felt too sluggish for me. At least with a manual I am in control. I mean heck it is a jeep, I want to know I am the one driving it.

Manual all the way.....
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here was my train of thought....

If I got a manual I might regret it. With an auto, I would probably never regret it. So I went with an auto. I thought it was the safest decision and I have not regretted it at all.

I think the manual is for people who know they want a manual.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic for heavy wheeling