Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual Transmission Problem????

Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by m5235231
So what we've got as potential problems without any certainty are:

- boot
- shifter fork
- synchro

This should be fun.....NOT
Try the inner shift boot first. It is a cheap part ($15 bucks) and a slam dunk to fix yourself. (PM me for directions if you need them)

This has worked for quite a few people.
~~~>Just not me
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizzyliz
Try the inner shift boot first. It is a cheap part ($15 bucks) and a slam dunk to fix yourself. (PM me for directions if you need them)

This has worked for quite a few people.
~~~>Just not me
thanks. I've contacted dealer to see waht they say. I need to bring vehicle back in to replace the Microphone and will see if they do it there.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM
higgy baby

Originally Posted by jeepnick
i tried to point dealer in the right direction with this problem and they look at me like im nuts cause it wont happen when they have it
just got my 2010 4 dr rubi - 400 miles on it and this has happened at least twenty times - at least once a day. took it to the dealer, had the shop forum drive around with it and it wouldnt pop out... had to get gas so i took him with me and it happened twice. Now they are replacing my transmission on my two week old car. wish i could have gotten an 09 - i think the 100K power train warranty will be over too soon!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Jeep is at the dealer today. They picked it up last night and as Murphy's Law would have it, they did not have the problem as of yet.
The good news is that they replaced the Microphone which was not working (now included with NAV in 2010) and now the U-Phone works.
Keeping my fingers crossed they find something with the transmission and fix it because when it pops out, it scares the crap out of me.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 AM
higgy baby

Got my Rubi back this morning... FWIW the issue was addressed by Jeep per K28663307. Free transmission replacement.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by higgy baby
Got my Rubi back this morning... FWIW the issue was addressed by Jeep per K28663307. Free transmission replacement.
Do you have the information on that bulliten?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Do you have the information on that bulliten?
If you could, that would be great. The more information the better. I got the "it happens when 1st gear is not pushed in all the way"
Funny how this is the only car I have ever had and currently have with a manual transmission that I don't know how to put it in 1st gear!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi

Question

Jeep is at the dealer today. They picked it up last night and as Murphy's Law would have it, they did not have the problem as of yet.
The good news is that they replaced the Microphone which was not working (now included with NAV in 2010) and now the U-Phone works.
Keeping my fingers crossed they find something with the transmission and fix it because when it pops out, it scares the crap out of me.
If you could, that would be great. The more information the better. I got the "it happens when 1st gear is not pushed in all the way"
Funny how this is the only car I have ever had and currently have with a manual transmission that I don't know how to put it in 1st gear!!!!
Gotta love it!
NOT!
Typical jerkme response from the service writer.

Have you gotten your Jeep back yet?
I'm curious if it happened while at the dealership.
...My guess is that they don't really drive it much~~~> I know this was the case with my steering box. (They only tried to duplicate the issue within the garage~ and on a smooth floor, it was easy to turn )

I am dreading having to take it in.
I have an extended warranty though so though I hold my shifter in 1st now, I am waiting a bit for it to get ridiculously out of hand so that it will do it for them when they drive it around the parking lot.

Oh and you called your Jeep a car ...
Another kitten bites the dust!

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 10-19-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dizzyliz
Have you gotten your Jeep back yet?
I'm curious if it happened while at the dealership.
...My guess is that they don't really drive it much~~~> I know this was the case with my steering box. (They only tried to duplicate the issue within the garage~ and on a smooth floor, it was easy to turn )

Oh and you called your Jeep a car ...
Another kitten bites the dust!
Ya I got my JEEP back. They said it didn't happen but when I yelled they went and made it happen by not putting it in first gear all the way. For some reason it is difficult to explain that I don't drive around putting the shifter half way into first and that something is either preventing it from going into first all the way or pushing it out.

I get confused, car, jeep, truck.....I will call them all vehicles in future and save a kitten's life.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi

Cool

Ya I got my JEEP back. They said it didn't happen but when I yelled they went and made it happen by not putting it in first gear all the way. For some reason it is difficult to explain that I don't drive around putting the shifter half way into first and that something is either preventing it from going into first all the way or pushing it out.

I get confused, car, jeep, truck.....I will call them all vehicles in future and save a kitten's life.
Well, mine is so bad that I literally have to forcefully hold it into 1st gear to keep it from happening.
When I don't hold it hard enough, it pops out.

I actually made an appointment Wednesday to get it handled.
...I will be armed with the info that Atl JK gave me. Hopefully they will at least give it consideration.

~~~>I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Problem????