Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Marine gear oil in differential?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Marine gear oil in differential?

Been into boats my entire life and have experimented with different fluids in the lower units of various boats but lately there are some really high-end gear oils available for the high performance outboards as well as for the I/O drives.

Mercruiser makes a synthetic gear oil that many in the racing business use no matter the brand of outdrive, it is 75-90, same as the Jeep requires. Not cheap at around 10 bucks a quart but good stuff.

I am thinking that since it is possible to end up with water contaminated differential oil it might be a good move to use marine gear oil in the Jeep. That stuff is designed to mix with water and could save a differential but I am not sure if it would pose any other problem.

Has anyone here had experience with this?

Regards
Old 09-20-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No but the first place I would start is to call them and ask about any testing that might have been done in differentials.

Quick Reply: Marine gear oil in differential?