Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Missing plastic piece

Old 04-08-2019, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing plastic piece

Good afternoon everyone!

I was doing some deep cleaning of my jeep and some how lost both the panels you take off to disconnect the rear doors in a JKU.

Does anyone know what the name of those are? I did some searching on google and came up blank.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Unfortunately, what you are looking for is sold as part of that entire trim piece I believe, rather than being sold separately. They are ~$70 each too -

https://store.mopar.com/2014-jeep-wr...L73DX9AE-item/

https://store.mopar.com/2014-jeep-wr...L72DX9AE-item/
Old 04-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

For $140, I think I may be calling the junk yards to see if they have any JK wranglers in the yard.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Here's some discount options on Ebay.

$51
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-13-Jeep-...kAAOSwvfpcCdh7

$30
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-13-Jeep-...oAAOSwmepcCc9r

However, questionable seller reliability is the risk with those price options. 98.7% feedback rating.
The following users liked this post:
Jeepin_TEEJ (04-11-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I never understand why parts like this that are basically mirror images of each other, are priced differently. Is this some supply and demand thing....manufacture finds people needing one side more than the other?
Old 04-09-2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
I never understand why parts like this that are basically mirror images of each other, are priced differently. Is this some supply and demand thing....manufacture finds people needing one side more than the other?
Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to sellers on Amazon and Ebay selling take-off parts. Probably something along those lines. The OP can just purchase whichever sides costs the least, since that little door flap they lost is the same on both sides. It reminds me of when I was looking to add a tow hook to the passenger's side of the rear. I could find the driver's side take offs for $15-$20 all day long on Ebay, new from Mopar was like $50. For the passenger side Hard Rock tow hook, it was $85-$100 as a take off, and $150 new from Mopar. I ended up just getting two take off driver side tow hooks, where even if I did get the passenger side HR, I would still need to repaint it because it was only available in Red which I didn't prefer. The Mopar price differences I could understand a little more. The likely reason is because it cost them some money for tooling to be able to manufacture a mirror image part, where the driver's side tow hook went on almost every JK that was built. So you spread that development and tooling cost for the driver side hook over 1Million vehicles sold, and it becomes pennies on the dollar. Now you do the same thing where the tool to manufacture the part costs the same and you spread the cost of that tool over 5,000 HR addition JK's, then it becomes a noticeable chunk of change spread across those smaller quantities sold.

Really, the symetry thing does not bother me at all. The driver's side hook, mounted on the passenger's side works just as good and the only one that notices the passenger side tow hook is curved the wrong way is probably me.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-09-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Jeepin_TEEJ (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Dupe post. Apologies.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-10-2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Dupe post.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll

Really, the symetry thing does not bother me at all. The driver's side hook, mounted on the passenger's side works just as good and the only one that notices the passenger side tow hook is curved the wrong way is probably me.
Back in a past life I was on the procurement team for a new command and control system for USAF. It was a rather large system (Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center III, if you're curious) that fit into the cargo compartment of a C-130 and carried a battlestaff and crew of up to 15. Basically, we coordinated USAF response to Army needs on the ground.

Anyway, we had several human factors engineers working on the project, too. And they pointed out that it is poor design to have symmetrical elements. That is, if you reach up with the tool in your left hand to do something on the left side of a control panel, then you'll likely reach up with the tool in your left hand on the right side (assuming that such is within reach). So, I put the shackles on my Jeep such that they are not symmetrical, but that the same exact procedure is used on either to remove it. Same thing for the rear bumper.

Image shot by Nick H during our run of the Mojave Road a couple weeks ago ...

Jeepin_TEEJ (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing to ask after that is if its the same size on the 2007-2016. I saw the ones on ebay but they were 11-13.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about something for an '08 (per your profile). The interior moldings changed in 2011. I'd think that if you have an '08 then it might be a bit different size/shape. The ones on eBay should really say '11-'18.

Quick Reply: Missing plastic piece