Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

mods good or bad?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mods good or bad?

I am wondering how dealers think. As for Jeep Dealers, do mods help trade in value or deminish it? like a small lift, wheels, and tires along with a set of lights, a possible brush guard and nerf bars. overall i'd end up having one sick jeep, but would i be able to break even? wheels,lift tires, is about $1700 lights$200 Guard $230 nerf bars $450 i have seen on the forum jeeps selling for over $53,000 because of huge lift and nice wheels with bigger tires and other add ons. so whats the word on this from most of you?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will make more money if you strip the aftermarket mods off and sell them separately, than almost giving them to a Dealer. Because they will only give you Book value.
If you sell your modified Jeep privately , you will make more money.
But - most guys want to build their own Jeep noy take over someones rig.
My 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Freak

Mods good...dealer bad...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats what i was thinking... doesn't the book value's also contain the numbers with add on's? ill just check with them and see how it goes, i plan on keep my jeep for a couple years unless a gladiator/JT comes out, but basically most of what you buy is just going to be ignored, so then it's not worth modding unless you use your mods. but it sure if fun
Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Mods help private sale value on a Jeep from what I have seen...
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Many dealers deduct for mods. They sometimes have a little harder time selling modified vehicles(or so they say). All stock is generally better for resale unless they find the right buyer.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
thats what i was thinking... doesn't the book value's also contain the numbers with add on's? ill just check with them and see how it goes, i plan on keep my jeep for a couple years unless a gladiator/JT comes out, but basically most of what you buy is just going to be ignored, so then it's not worth modding unless you use your mods. but it sure if fun
From having worked at a car dealership and having other family members who have worked in the auto business as well the books that dealers use (Galves) does not have anything for after market additions. It only accounts for options that come from the factory and even then only certain ones. I can't tell you how many times people would trade in cars and mention that it has a particular package (OEM) but it had no bearing on the value of the vehicle.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer where I bought my jeep puts 4'' lifts and big tire & (chrome) rim set-ups, a couple of those $20 Pro comp windshield lights and bumper lights on jeeps to sell more. They then charge twice as much for those mods as you would pay any where else to have them done. $9000 added to the sticker price. Thief's !
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I was buying my JK, I was trading in my TJ. I had 32" tires, Pacer wheels, 2.5" Skyjacker lift, Lagne Bullet proof side steps, and the interior completely rhinolined, and upgraded 6x9 rear speakers (moved the 5.25" ones up front). He actually said what I had done didn't add to the value of the vehicle. It took all of the tact that I had in me not to say well fine I will buy that heavily modified JK that he had on the lot for original sticker price because all that stuff he had done to it really didn't add to the value. Instead, I said that it definately didn't take away from the value, which was how he was leaning. Long story short, a month later he called me and gave me what I wanted for my TJ and rolled off in a JK...not the $42000 one.

Quick Reply: mods good or bad?