Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Mounted flash light

Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounted flash light

Hey folks!!! Looking to mount a flash light inside the jeep (2012 jk unlimited). I'm a emergency responder and have often found wanting one like in my fire engine.

How would you all mount the "TPT R7 NiMH Rechargeable Full-Size Duty Flashlight" from 5.11?
( http://m.511tactical.com/All-Product...uty-Light.html )

I was thinking near the front to be accessed while driving but it may be easier to mount in the trunk area. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In all honestly, I'd buy the $60 tactical version that doesn't come with a charger and just keep it in the console and swap the battery on a regular schedule. And that's what I did. For twice the price, you can have two-three of them and still be into it for less than that rechargable unit. The light you've picked out is a really nice unit, but seems like overkill. Then again, overkill is sometimes the whole point, and can be quite fun. It's there if you need it, and when someone asks "do you have a flashlight?", you can hand them the Mother of God version.

If you want to mount the charger and hook it up to power, it really depends on how big the unit is. The idea is that it's within arm's reach so just like on your Fire apparatus, you can grab it as you're exiting the vehicle. You don't want to have to go rummage around in the tailgate area. That said, in your JK, between the rocker panel and the driver's seat if there's room, overhead on the rollbar (you can run the wire inside the padding), or mount it next to your right leg on the transmission hump. You could probably mount it under the driver's seat too, but might be tough to reach in a pinch. Passenger side transmission hump could be a good area too, so it's out of your way as the driver, but still within arm's reach.

You'll need to decide how you want to wire it...straight to an "always on" lead, so it charges even when the jeep is off (might run down the battery?) or to a switched source.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like a similar size to a mag light. If so there's this option... Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » MagLite Flashlight Seat Mount Write-Up
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DKehler
That looks like a similar size to a mag light. If so there's this option... Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » MagLite Flashlight Seat Mount Write-Up
I keep meaning to do this one, I even bought the necessary maglight clamps

Trying harder to find a way to mount my fire extinguisher within arms reach while belted in...

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mounted the charger for my led poly stinger down beside shifter. It's out of the way enough to where my leg barely ever hits it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I keep meaning to do this one, I even bought the necessary maglight clamps

Trying harder to find a way to mount my fire extinguisher within arms reach while belted in...

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Put my extinguisher here for easy access. I wanted it closer, figured Me or someone else would need it more than a flashlight in emergency.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

So I bought the light today and I'm toying with ideas of where to actually stuff it. It's a little large (like a 3 d cell mag light) and it's harder than I thought to find a place for it. What I'm thinking of is actually mounting the base ( charger ) to the front of the glove box or to the bottom side of the passenger side freedom panel.

There's a spot a little right of the center line that's kinda fat or "meaty" and I could get the screws in there. I could route the charger cable out f the way via the sound bar and make it look nice. My only issue would be how solid are those panels? If I pierce the bottom in the thick part will it leak? Does anyone have any experience with this? All thoughts are welcome! And thanks to everyone who's helped so far
Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

As mention above the flashlight fits really nice on the seat frame between the rocker panel. Easy to get to then
Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're just looking for a spot to mount the light I picked up a couple Mag light mounting clips off amazon and mounted it on roof speaker panel bar behind the dome light, you can easily grab it from front seat BUT if you're looking for a place for light and charger then maybe what others have suggested
Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

I was hoping to mount it with it's charging mount. The base plate it snaps into actually has a cord and charges the unit. I played with positioning on these at frame and it didn't want to cooperate really because the seat frame is less wide than the base of the unit and the charging unit (base piece) would hang over too far to even drill new holes on the seat frame remake it fit
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3517976537.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	503645  

Quick Reply: Mounted flash light