Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Moving...... Auto Transports from Budget or Uhaul

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving...... Auto Transports from Budget or Uhaul

Just got offered a position in Portland Oregon and I'm entertaining towing my JKU 4 door Auto, 35" toyo M/T on an Auto Transport. (This is not the dolly model with only the 2 front wheels off the ground). I'm speaking of the Auto Transport that takes all 4 wheels on-top of the platform.

From what I can recall the Straps/Netting that usually encompasses the front tires is for a typical wheel/tire combo. Have any forum members put their lifted JKU w/ 35" Mud Terrains on the above mentioned Transport? Do the Straps reach? or Should I look at putting some Used stockers on the front only? Help!!!

Thank You in Advance for any help,

Matt
Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default uhaul auto transport

i just bought a jeep from another forum member (rafi) its 2010 2dr lifted 2.5" with 34" duratracs on stock wheels and spidertrax wheel spacers on. i put it on the auto transport from uhaul using 4-2" straps. the webbing on the trailer doesnt come close. i went over the tires in the front with my straps and went to the frame in the rear. as far as the overall width... it just fit
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the insight. Did you just lay the netting down within the wells and drive over them? Then put your own straps on? Thanks again for your insight.

Matt
Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

I used to work for Penske Truck Rental, and I can tell you, the netting definitely will not fit over your 35's. You can try putting different straps on it to hold it down, or putting stockers on it for the trip. You may want to watch your wheel base width though too. I know a lot of SUV/Trucks didn't fit on our carriers because the wheel base is too wide, even when completely stock.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default auto transport

i pulled the webbing back, drove up on the trailer, put the webbing up over the tires as far as it would reach, then put my straps up and over the tires securing the jeep down with the webbing stored underneath.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I towed my JKU from TX to VA like this. I had to put the stock wheels on and still use an extension strap on the webbing to get a good pull on the ratchets. I was using a Uhaul car hauler, the extension straps had to be purchased in addition to the trailer.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Car hauler

Here's my experience with trailering the Jeep:
I had a 2-door 2007 JK Rubicon (now I have a 2010) and I trailered it from Kansas City to LA and then after a year from LA to Portland. I used Budget truck rental because they have a car carrier which was wide enough than the one you see with U-Haul and Penske. It's essentially a flat bed tilt trailer with an aluminum deck. Here's a pic of it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	budget_car_trailer.jpg
Views:	13255
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	249744

It has chains to wrap around your axle or some other solid point, but no webbing needed.

There were two problems with this trailer:
On the KC to LA move, I blew one tire, that of course can happen to anyone, anywhere, and with any rental agency, esp. with rental equipment on long moves, luckily it's a tandem axle trailer, so I just had to call the 1-800 number and they sent out someone who replaced the tire and I was on my way again.
On the LA to PDX move the problem I had was getting the trailer. When you request it from Budget, it is a "specialty item" so that means it's kind of PITA to get without fair warning. The online reservation doesn't even say a 2007 Jeep will fit on it, I just had to "fudge" that detail when I rented it. I reserved it, but when it came time for the pick-up, they said they had the truck, but no trailer come back later and we'll have it. I came back later and they delivered the wrong trailer, so I had to wait another day while one was sent from Northern California to LA. This little bombshell was dropped after I loaded the truck so I had to sleep on the floor of my old place with no furniture. I'm just sharing this story so you can avoid the misery. Regardless, both times I used it, the Jeep fit just fine with the 33" tires mounted on it, and since it is basically a flat bed with no rails, I am sure 35's will fit just fine.

I think you can get one of these with U-Haul too, but I am sure you have to show them a pic of the trailer like this one just to give them some idea what it is you need. If you go to a "main" Budget or U-Haul location, they may even have one there so you can drive up on it and see if it works for a JKU.

Hope it helps, sorry if it doesn't since I have a 2-door, but I am almost certain a JKU will fit, this trailer will fit full size pick-ups so I can't see why a JKU won't work.

-sk
Old 12-14-2011, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

We rented a U-haul transport trailer for my buddies Tacoma regular cab 4x4 with 33" tires. Mind you, this was a truck with a shorter wheelbase than a JKU. It BARELY fit on the trailer. Like, the rear tires were close to the rear edge. I don't see how on earth a full size SUV or truck would ever fit on one of those.

Oh, and the webbing wouldn't get close to fitting on the 33s. We aired his tires all the way down and then we barely got the webbing strapped on.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Car Carrier

Budget has the same car carrier as U-Haul and Hertz and looks something like this:

Name:	imagesCAFM1ZCX.jpg
Views:	2742
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	250023

The deck has a built in webbing to secure your tire and it's this webbing that won't fit around 33 or 35" tires, It is also shorter than the one shown below so a long wheelbase vehicle won't fit on it. As I mentioned, Budget has a "specialty" car carrier which is the one I used and looks like this:

Name:	budget_car_trailer.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	250024
It is longer and wider than the previous car carrier. In addition, it has chains with hooks at all four corners attached to ratchets to secure the vehicle, you just have to crawl under to secure it to the underside of the vehicle. The chains are pretty long and pretty versatile. Since it uses chains and not the tire straps, tire size doesn't matter. The whole deck tilts when unloading the vehicle and there is only a short ramp to get up to the edge of the trailer. (which in a jeep you don't even need)

The problem is getting the trailer, I think you have to physically reserve it rather than just doing it online so they don't stiff you like they did to me thinking you need a "regular" car carrier. Plus, don't forget to figure in the weight and capacity of the truck to pull it.

Hope this helps, welcome to Oregon, the Tillamook OHV park is calling your name.....

-sk
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

I really appreciate all of the posts soo far. I have made the conclusion that I will be purchasing some steel stockers and putting the 35"s in the back of the Uhaul. I can't wait to get BACK to Oregon (Born and Raised in Bend).

Quick Reply: Moving...... Auto Transports from Budget or Uhaul