Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Moving to Chicago and have a question

Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are tons of good car washes and yes they stay open during the winter. There will be days where they are closed when it get's crazy cold, but I'd say you won't find a time where you would have to go more than a week without a wash. What part of the city are you moving to?
Old 09-07-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

I stayed in Chicago for work mainly only in the winter. I used to live in Indiana. Moving from Memphis will be a big change in climate! I hear you on the "daycare" thing, lol. I saw how rough Memphis can be when I worked on the Ike's buy outs.

Not much you can do about rust unless you at least got some kind of rust prohibiter sprayed on your under body when you first bought it. Even then, no guarantees. I moved from that region to Central California and the first thing a mechanic said to me was "Dude, where the heck did you move here from? I should charge you double for all the rust I had to deal with!" To which I replied "funny, Midwest mechanics don't seem to have an issue!"

Anyhow, there is a great group of guys that have a Jeep Club that I am a part of (though I'm in CA now) called Chicagoland Dirty Deltas. Look them up on FB. They are always having suds and grubs.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenrir
I stayed in Chicago for work mainly only in the winter. I used to live in Indiana. Moving from Memphis will be a big change in climate! I hear you on the "daycare" thing, lol. I saw how rough Memphis can be when I worked on the Ike's buy outs.

Not much you can do about rust unless you at least got some kind of rust prohibiter sprayed on your under body when you first bought it. Even then, no guarantees. I moved from that region to Central California and the first thing a mechanic said to me was "Dude, where the heck did you move here from? I should charge you double for all the rust I had to deal with!" To which I replied "funny, Midwest mechanics don't seem to have an issue!"

Anyhow, there is a great group of guys that have a Jeep Club that I am a part of (though I'm in CA now) called Chicagoland Dirty Deltas. Look them up on FB. They are always having suds and grubs.
Coming from Chicago and moving to Memphis, at least you won't have to get accustomed to the murder rate. I think they're #1 and #2 respectively. Hard top fo sho.

Last edited by Cutman; 09-07-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

You won't regret Simons. Yes open all winter minus a day or two.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I run through the touchless car washes all winter. Many gas stations have car washes in Chicago area. I double wax the exterior in the fall, once with a carnauba type, once with synthetic. WD 40 on suspension components, nuts and bolts helps to inhibit rust too.

Rust is going to happen, but I do my part to prevent it.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

I'd invest in kevlar, not car washes. You'll probably want to trade for this: Range Rover Sentinel armored SUV - Business Insider
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cutman
Coming from Chicago and moving to Memphis, at least you won't have to get accustomed to the murder rate. I think they're #1 and #2 respectively. Hard top fo sho.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-554369010.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	624170

Murder rates by city
Old 09-09-2015, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RMucho
Attachment 624170

Murder rates by city
Well that sucks! Colorado didn't even make the top 30. We gots to work on dat!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Look up this stuff called fluid film. I always sprayed all my vehicles with cosmoline but I got it free now I don't. Fluid file works well spray it on before winter. Also the more you wash your jeep the faster it will rust road salt only become active above freezing
Old 09-11-2015, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thinking back to the time I've spent in the midwest... The automated carwashes that operate in the winter are great. Lots of them have an undercarriage wash that sprays (a lot, but not all) the crud on the underside.

Also, get a set of heavy duty floormats like weathertech floor liners or one of the Rugged ridge products. The salt that knocks off your feet will destroy carpeted floormats, carpet, and if it sits long enough, can begin to corrode the floor.

Quick Reply: Moving to Chicago and have a question