Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Moving North in the Winter

Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving North in the Winter

Good evening everyone,

There is a very good chance that I will be moving from Huntsville Texas to New Haven Connecticut in March or february (The best time in the world to move) to start a new job and go to school. I have only seen snow that sticks once, briefly, and I have never driven in any snowy conditions. This will be a terrible shock but I want to try to prepare myself as best as I can in the next few months.

Below are some questions I have, keep in mind I have barely seen snow and have little experience with driving in icy conditions.

1. I currently have 2 sets of tires, Micky Thompson MTZs (35x12.5) and the stock Goodyear Wrangler All terrain tires, which would be better for street driving in Winter Conditions in the North East?

2. I have heard that many people put a type of grease under the vehicle to protect from the salt that is apparently laid everywhere during the winter months. What type of grease is this and how should I apply it? What should not be greased?

3. How common is it to have doors frozen shut and what is the best way to open them again?

4. Does the Hard top have enough insulation to keep the occupants somewhat warm? I currently have the interior carpet removed, should I put it back in for insulation?

5. How often should I wash the body of the jeep to keep the salt/ice from damaging the paint or areas where the paint may be scratched?

6. Should I have any concerns about not being able to keep the Jeep in a garage?

7. What extra precautions should I take in prepairing the Jeep for constant freezing temperatures?

Also if you have any advise to offer on living in a snow/Icy environment and what to do and what not to do with a Jeep, I would love to hear it.

One last question, it does not relate to the snow, but rather the somewhat higher crime rate of the area. I have a set of wheel locks, is this enough to deter criminals from trying to steal my tires/wheels? Are there any other ways to protect them....maybe Two sets of wheel locks?

Thanks for the advice everyone,

-Hitz
Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can only answer these since we don't really salt our roads...

Originally Posted by hitz
1. I currently have 2 sets of tires, Micky Thompson MTZs (35x12.5) and the stock Goodyear Wrangler All terrain tires, which would be better for street driving in Winter Conditions in the North East?

3. How common is it to have doors frozen shut and what is the best way to open them again?

4. Does the Hard top have enough insulation to keep the occupants somewhat warm? I currently have the interior carpet removed, should I put it back in for insulation?

6. Should I have any concerns about not being able to keep the Jeep in a garage?

7. What extra precautions should I take in prepairing the Jeep for constant freezing temperatures?
1. All Terrains will be better in snow and ice. I have heard good reviews about the BFG KM2, but I'd bet your Micky's wouldn't be that great.

3. I've only had them frozen after I had a carwash during a cold snap.

4. The hard top is colder than a regular car. The heater will keep you plenty warm. The middle vents can hit the people in the back pretty well too. When you turn off the heat, it will chill down pretty fast. I wouldn't stress about the carpet either.

6. Don't worry, mine sits outside too. Invest in an ice scraper/snow brush. If you have extra cash, consider a remote start or a block heater.

7. Normal winter maintenance. Check fluid levels. Check your anti-feeze mixture. Possibly go with a lighter grade of oil as cold starts are hard on an engine. The block heater will help.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, one last thing. Do some reading on how to handle your jeep when you slide. 4x4 vs 2wd is a little different. I see a lot of 4x4 in the ditch because they hit the brake when they slide.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

2. I have heard that many people put a type of grease under the vehicle to protect from the salt that is apparently laid everywhere during the winter months. What type of grease is this and how should I apply it? What should not be greased?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Connecticut? not that cold down there....wash the damn thing as much as possible...salt is ridiculous... hard top is plenty warm, i'd go with the bfg's.... and try and get off street parking....you'll have to move your jeep all the time or get ticketed/towed
Old 11-07-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good evening everyone,

There is a very good chance that I will be moving from Huntsville Texas to New Haven Connecticut in March or february (The best time in the world to move) to start a new job and go to school. I have only seen snow that sticks once, briefly, and I have never driven in any snowy conditions. This will be a terrible shock but I want to try to prepare myself as best as I can in the next few months.

Below are some questions I have, keep in mind I have barely seen snow and have little experience with driving in icy conditions.

5. How often should I wash the body of the jeep to keep the salt/ice from damaging the paint or areas where the paint may be scratched?

Also if you have any advise to offer on living in a snow/Icy environment and what to do and what not to do with a Jeep, I would love to hear it.

One last question, it does not relate to the snow, but rather the somewhat higher crime rate of the area. I have a set of wheel locks, is this enough to deter criminals from trying to steal my tires/wheels? Are there any other ways to protect them....maybe Two sets of wheel locks?

-Hitz
1 all seasons the narrower the the better in snow

2 wash the heck out of the underneath at least once a week, the salt will destroy the body and break lines

3 when i lived in upstate ny (cental ny) only time doors froze was after a ice storm, if its that bad you aint leaving anyway

4 not sure ,my blazer k series blazer kept me warm at -30

5 i would use a good marine wax i used collinites #870 and wash lots

6 not that i know of

7 make sure anti-freeze is set for at least -25 it sucks when the radiator freezes

just remember if its ice on the road stay home, seen people who think they can on ice with their big suv`s they were wrong
Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the salt thats so bad,, its if they spray the roads with calcium/soduim cloride as they do here in the Ne Pa mountains.. Just wash off as often as you can.. carry a lighter in your pocket to heat the key up if your lock freezes(just the tip.) And narrow tires work well,, but the stock sra's blow ass in snow,, they have no,, I mean no traction,, might as well drive a mini-van.. I usually go to MTR's for winter,, these suck on ice, unless you have them siped,, you should have no issue finding a tire shop to do this up north,, once siped they work well on ice too.. I' drove thru 2' deep snow in my 07 with the mtr's and no issues,, had much issues just last week in 14" of wet snow and the sra's.. They are summer tires for good mpg only..
Just check your coolant/antifreeze. and pack a bag in the jeep.. survival type,, space blanket, first aid kit, mre, shovel and road flares,, just in case you ditch.. never know.. I also carry a shovel and tow straps,, but I get to make $$ every time it snows,, idiot in cars try to drive up big hills..
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	089.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	15319

Cover your winch with something to keep salt and dirt out....and so that it will not freeze too bad as it then may be impossible to unspool you wire.

I use only one set of tires...and speed cant then be the same as on dry road conditions.

Hardtop is fine, JKs heater is fine and enough.

Wash salt away always when you have a chance.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would get some good AT's to handle snow and ice. (I've used the Goodyear Silent Armor's with great success for 55,000 miles on our Liberty) Remember to check your tire pressure often in the cold too. The first time you get some white stuff head to an open parking lot and break it loose a few times to get a feel for stopping, sliding and recovery, and initial take off. Walmart has little bottles of pressurized lock de-icer, the lighter is a good trick too. I just moved to Southern IL which gets alot of ice, and alot of these guys flip their wiper blades up off the windshield when they park so you don't rip the rubber of while scraping. They salt our roads like crazy too, so whenever it gets above freezing find a carwash with a good undercarriage spray. Buy some good slush mats while your at it.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Good evening everyone,

-Hitz
1. I would say all terrains for winter.
2. Here in cleveland we use rock salt and some others. Wash, rinse repeat
3. If your doors freeze shut, normally some good tugging will open them. Although the jeep doors aren't tightly fitted against the body so it shouldn't be a problem at all.
4. Hardtop will keep you warm enough.
5. Get a good snowbrush with a rubber strip at the end of it, keeps paint looking good.
6. no
7. and none.

Quick Reply: Moving North in the Winter