Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My 2017 JK Questions;

Old 02-25-2023, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2017 JK Questions;

Hi everybody im the new guy on the block i have been building my 2017 JK sport for a few years now. I want some more power! I have not done anything with the motor yet. I keep hearing about this magnuson supercharger and a 10 speed transmission swap. Has anyone seen this combo yet? Is it worth it? What transmission is being used?
Old 02-26-2023, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Man, adding a supercharger or a turbo is a good way to send the 3.6L to the graveyard IMO. It's sure hard to justify the cost as well. I know relative to a V8 swap they seem cheap, but I guess it all depends on how long you plan on keeping the jeep. If it's just for a few years then sure, I guess a SC would be a lot of fun. If on a vehicle you plan on keeping 10 years.....meh. Anyhow, I know that didn't answer your question, just throwing out an opinion based on having seen a lot of friends fiddle with RIPP, Prodigy, and Sprintex......and having seen a lot of headaches from people online.
The following users liked this post:
5280shane (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Resharp, if you want a hemi but can’t justify the cost, simply install a Supercharger and wait for the engine to blow. It’s only a matter of time. Then it’s easier to justify the V8 you wanted in the first place. 😁
5280shane (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

IMO, the 3.6L bottom end is Strong.. IN Co. what are the Emissions Regs.. State Inspections.. and State emission rules on engine swaps.. Consider investigating Livinois Motorsports on the web..for the available TUNES .. they have 1 that claims a 50 RWHp increase.
Sixty4x4 (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 468 Likes on 420 Posts

What Jay says is the best long term solution. As I have said before my sons 2016/6 spd we did a full throttle pull scan up to about 4800RPM and the timing drops from 34 deg adv down to 24. That is an enormous power killer and it does that to prevent detonation. One of the culprits for this is high engine coolant temps (probably for pollution) but if one was to take the temps down from 215-220 to 180-185 some of this problem would be eliminated. Also (on the expensive side) running premium gas would help too. But the tune definitely needs some tweaking and that requires a proper tuner to access the code, 2016 + years require a $299 unlock and require credits to access read and write. I am not sure you would get 50HP but I am willing to bet you would get 20-25lbs of torque more and perhaps 15HP. But that makes a big difference in driveability. Look at the same Pentastar in a pickup - beats a Jeep hands down! And same if not heavier weight. Think why when it is the same mechanical engine - different tune.
5280shane (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KTMKayaker
I agree with Resharp, if you want a hemi but can’t justify the cost, simply install a Supercharger and wait for the engine to blow. It’s only a matter of time. Then it’s easier to justify the V8 you wanted in the first place. 😁
lmao now that sounds like the road i was about to go down tell i found this forum. Thank you
KTMKayaker (03-01-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Man, adding a supercharger or a turbo is a good way to send the 3.6L to the graveyard IMO. It's sure hard to justify the cost as well. I know relative to a V8 swap they seem cheap, but I guess it all depends on how long you plan on keeping the jeep. If it's just for a few years then sure, I guess a SC would be a lot of fun. If on a vehicle you plan on keeping 10 years.....meh. Anyhow, I know that didn't answer your question, just throwing out an opinion based on having seen a lot of friends fiddle with RIPP, Prodigy, and Sprintex......and having seen a lot of headaches from people online.
yeah I went down that road put junk on take it off fix it and put good gear on it gets expensive.. thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
What Jay says is the best long term solution. As I have said before my sons 2016/6 spd we did a full throttle pull scan up to about 4800RPM and the timing drops from 34 deg adv down to 24. That is an enormous power killer and it does that to prevent detonation. One of the culprits for this is high engine coolant temps (probably for pollution) but if one was to take the temps down from 215-220 to 180-185 some of this problem would be eliminated. Also (on the expensive side) running premium gas would help too. But the tune definitely needs some tweaking and that requires a proper tuner to access the code, 2016 + years require a $299 unlock and require credits to access read and write. I am not sure you would get 50HP but I am willing to bet you would get 20-25lbs of torque more and perhaps 15HP. But that makes a big difference in driveability. Look at the same Pentastar in a pickup - beats a Jeep hands down! And same if not heavier weight. Think why when it is the same mechanical engine - different tune.
wow you all have been extremely helpful thank you building this thing has been a struggle for sure from rip off to junk parts. But its getting there. I do know of a shop that said they do the reprogramming stuff but I did not think it would make that big a difference. I know a guy that put a hellcat in his jeep said it was the worst thing he could of ever done now he has a stock engine back in his jeep and a hellcat in his garage they could not get it to pass emissions. But you all gave me some great ideas thank you. You no my next post will be hey what engine swap is a good one lol. Never ends
KTMKayaker (03-01-2023)

Quick Reply: My 2017 JK Questions;