Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My DD is gathering Pollen!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DD is gathering Pollen!

I bought my JK Unlimited Rubicon to use as a second vehicle for nice sunny days and for some light trailing/off roading. Well, I purchased my Jeep 2 weeks ago and I have driven it every day since. My DD has just sat in my driveway gathering pollen.

Now I am thinking that perhaps my Jeep could be my DD. My DD get 27 mpg so I am not ready to part with it, but the thought is now really crossing my mind. Except for the cost of gas, why not make my Jeep my DD?

Eric
Old 06-15-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem - ditched the daily driver but also made the decision to swap out the 33" MT's for 33" AT's. I had 33 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tires and now have 33" Firestone Destination AT's. It killed me to make the change but I did go up about 3-4 miles per gallon. 12.5" wide MT's vs. 8.5" wide AT's.

Why have two vehicles if you are only going to drive one - get rid of the one and use the money for upgrades....and GAS
Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

It just depends, my DD that is no longer my DD is great for hauling things around in, like all my tools and other things for the house. My old DD is a 95 Ford Ranger that hasn't been wash in about 4 years.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi

I'm going the other way. My JK has been my DD since I got it last July. I've racked up almost 18K miles in less than a year. I recently borrowed my Mom's Mazda6 that she never drives (30mpg). I've been using it for a DD/commuter and it has saved me about 800miles off my JK and some gas money on top of that. By the fall I am going to find a fuel efficient DD in order to preserve my JK, especially from these Ohio winters. Another plus for me is the ability to leave my hard top off and only drive the Jeep when it's nice out.

In your situation, if you have a significant payment on your DD then you might still come out ahead eliminating it even though the Jeep will get worse mpg.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
JK Super Freak

We use our Rubi for our DD. We have a utility trailer that we tow when we need to haul larger stuff.