Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My experience with atomic 4x4 austin!!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with atomic 4x4 austin!!

Hey guys I’m alive a trip to atomic 4x4 almost cost me my life. It started like a bad dream and ended up a nightmare. it’s a long story a few weeks back John Stefka said he could put in my gears in victoria at his foreman’s shop. ( didn’t know it was a rent a shop) seemed strange but I felt committed John said should take 8-12 hrs wife insisted we take 2 vehicles didn’t pack anything well went there on at sat 8am ended staying in vic didn’t leave vict till 10pm Sunday.

Before we rode off took it for test drive well and rear end was making a whining noise and front locker leaked not right at this point. John states probably superior gears make that noise. We are all exhausted made a deal to take it to Austin at his shop where there’s a lift and equipment needed to make it right, and get lockers fixed at his “professional shop” So a few weeks later on sat leave home 4am head to Austin by myself wife sick doesn’t want to be stuck in Austin like what happened in Victoria she stays home.

Well done at sat 8pm he also added that he felt 100% about work on the front differential but only 80% on the rear even wrote in on receipt if I had problems with it to get it worked on locally and he would cover it. That gave me a feeling of unrest. I test drove it sounds good head to corpus before I left John says to text him when I get home and call him if any problems. Exhausted happy to be on my way home at this point stop to fuel up noted small ding under passenger door not good figure ill let him know about that Monday. Driving on hwy 35 decided Ill take road 123 driving down the road I’m 2hrs away from home and 2 hrs past Austin. Suddenly the jeep veered onto the opposing lane and felt like rear end went airborne I feathered the brakes and slowly worked it back to the lane and coming to a halt on the shoulder.

After I calmed down I figured rear end had come apart. I got out to inspect the problem and came to the conclusion that it wasn’t the rear end when I inspected the front noted left front caliper jammed forward between the rotor and the rim. Well I called John numerous times and no answer even text him . I called numbers on the receipt one guy answered immediately but he said that was no longer his shop he had sold it to John 3 years ago. All this seems really odd.

From 10pm to 12mn I made calls for wrecker service called 15 different numbers my wife helping at home looking for towing numbers to call . John never called back. Finally got one that would be there in 11/2hrs well at 430am wrecker shows up but in mean time as I am waiting on the side of the road people come by slow down then see me in the vehicle and they race off . I had nothing on me to protect myself. Not a good feeling. I arrived via tow at my home 7am Sunday at tow turned out to be $675. My poor wife was worried sick.

I get a call from John at 130pm Sunday states his phone battery was dead. I know now that was bull. He said “oh my god I will cover all charges including parts and tow and I will give them my credit card number if you can find parts locally.” Well here it is Tuesday evening John is not answering his phone, email, text. Basically he has left me high and dry. You know John told me himself there was a old hippy guy that is unhappy with him regarding him not answering his call etc over some unsettled issue, but he said it held no merit.

Well now I’m in the same boat as that hippy man. He should be elated that I didn’t kill myself or someone else and my rig is in one piece. It could’ve been really ugly, just because of his negligence. Oh any by the way when I went to look at the bolts on the front passenger caliper one was missing and the other I was able to remove with my finger apparently John or employee failed to tighten them appropriately they just finger tightened them . God was on my side and I believe if I had taken hwy 35 I probably wouldn’t even be here today. I have given John every opportunity to provide me with the service I deserve and he has constantly let me down. I’m stuck taking care of all these issues that I didn’t cause and force me to have to take other actions to recover my losses and get my rig back in working order. I have posted pics. I would never recommend John Stefka to anyone. He is unorganized, uncaring and unprofessional.

SORRY FOR A LONG POST JUST WANTED ALL THE INFO OUT THERE SO YOU CAN FORM YOUR OWN OPINION.

Last edited by Constantine; 03-15-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: paragraphs
Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Tonite while trying to put parts back on it and checking all John's work, I found driveshaft bolts loose and passengers caliper bolts had one missing and one finger loose.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

sorry to hear that you lost out. it was kind of hard to read, but i think i got the jist of it.

hope things work out for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry to hear of your (mis)adventure. I'm looking for a worthy shop here in Corpus Christi. 4x4 Specialty, South Texas 4x4, and Trucker's World are the shops I'm looking at.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Glad your ok. I'm sorry to near that happened to you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el mono
Sorry to hear of your (mis)adventure. I'm looking for a worthy shop here in Corpus Christi. 4x4 Specialty, South Texas 4x4, and Trucker's World are the shops I'm looking at.
Lunatic Customs is a Vendor on the JK Forum. Not sure how far they are from you, but i know they run gear specials. check them out.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by el mono
Let me know if one works out for you as I may need to have the axles worked on again.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

Oh wow. That's an awful experience. People like John should be ashamed of themselves doing shoddy work and even charging money for it. I had a bad experience recently myself at a TX shop that's quite well reputed, but I know the feeling of having shoddy job done even after paying good money for it. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah it could have been someones life. All I asked of him was to pay me for the parts /tow/ and he cant even do that.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

was thinking of going by there to get some prices on gearing. Now i dont think i'll waste my time. sorry to hear about the bad days.