Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

are my gears busted???????

Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was actually waiting to taking the case off right now, its sitting in my garage without oil in it, i figured id do it tomo when my my other friend(thats built a few of them for his and family) can come help me out. i dont even know what kind of sealant for the case when putting it back together, and when im inspecting it, is there a cleaner i could use to get a better look and get out all the little pieces?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks planman, ill be sure to look more into it! tomo will be the day of truth!!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Freak

without actually seeing anything im gonna take a physical guess.

im guessing when you reset your pinion nut it made the pinion gear slide in a little, causing it so contact the diff and it was probably a very faint contact but it probably kept scratching away at it while you drove, eventually ripping a spring out
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh absolutely, the only way to know the extent of the damage is to rip the cover off and get in there...post pics too, you know what they saw about pics
Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

warlord! i opened her up and the gears look great, and nothing else on the bottom sept for oil and a little bit of that silver paste crap(barly any). if it did slide in and cause it to coil out a little spring should i take it in or wat?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

if there are no contact marks on the locker where the pinion would have kissed it...you may have gotten lucky...the spring is a little concerning though, plus to condition of your pinion bearings may be in question...how long did you run for post install?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

probably 200 miles since the new seal! maybe less till i noticed the loose nut, then i tightened it, then maybe another 100 max before i freaked myself out and opened it up. there are a couple pin scratches here and there but nothing serious i dont think. but hen i was turning the wheel to get a look at the other side of the gear(i dont kno if its bad to do that) but when it was turning it was clicking or poping like, pop....pop...pop...pop?????
Old 03-25-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

should i just fork up the dough and bring it in? 4wheel parts told me it would be 300 just to inspect it
Old 03-25-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

300 just to inspect it how are you mechanically and tool wise?

turning with a wheel is just fine, don't worry...can you not take some pics of things in there for us to see?
Your pinion bearings could very well be toast...how is the pinion for play when it's all tightened up?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

no, thats the lame thing, my bb phone was stolen a couple months ago and had to replace it with camera less bb. i also just sold my good regular camera too. bummer im sure it would help me out alot better!

right before i tightened it, it was leaking a little then i took the shaft off and a regular pair of pliers loosened the nut. it looked to close the spread maybe 3/16th when i tightened it

Quick Reply: are my gears busted???????