Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My jeep might have saved 5 lives...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My jeep might have saved 5 lives...

On our way from Dallas to breckenridge.... With this crazy ice storm Texas folks don't know how to drive in it. Jeep handled the weather like a champ.... We delayed our trip by a few hours because we stopped to pull 4 people out.... Two of them were so thankful because triple a said it would be hours before they could get there and with subzero weather you never know... One guy we pulled out twice.. Yes twice.... Turns out he was a medical doctor trying to get to Oklahoma city to administer to two cancer patients.

Our total charge for pulling these people out... $0.00 and 1755 karma points....although one guy insisted and gave us All the cash be had ...$14

I love my jeep in every fashion and what I can do with it.... And now I love it for what it can do for others!!!!

My only regret is not stopping for the one other person we saw stuck... Couldnt get over in time to pull off road :(

Oh yeah... One other thing... This is first trip I have used the cb.... And the info from the truckers heading from where we were going was invaluable... If your planning a long trip I totally recommend getting one!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way 2 go on the 1755 Karma points. you're a good man.
CB's rock. use it alot.
first time i used it, i was all day wondering what the 'big trucks' meant by '4-wheelers'. At first i thought they meant jacked up trucks and jeeps. then i figured out it was cars/trucks/jeeps or anything else with 4 wheels. not 4 wheel drive. lol. truckers know where the grub is, where the smokies/cops are, where the fuel is and which lane you need to be in when there's a wreck in front of you (and the detour).
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AptPupil
way 2 go on the 1755 Karma points. you're a good man.
CB's rock. use it alot.
first time i used it, i was all day wondering what the 'big trucks' meant by '4-wheelers'. At first i thought they meant jacked up trucks and jeeps. then i figured out it was cars/trucks/jeeps or anything else with 4 wheels. not 4 wheel drive. lol. truckers know where the grub is, where the smokies/cops are, where the fuel is and which lane you need to be in when there's a wreck in front of you (and the detour).
Thanks... But I am sure any other person on here would have done the same thing
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Default Awesome

You just show there are still good people out there.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

great story!

i was driving around all day yesterday running some errands. white out conditions, ice everywhere. and i was surprised to find no one stuck or stuggling at all...

people here can drive in the snow. sorta.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rafi
great story!

i was driving around all day yesterday running some errands. white out conditions, ice everywhere. and i was surprised to find no one stuck or stuggling at all...

people here can drive in the snow. sorta.
I have gone for a nice blizzard drive outside town and wondered the same thing about lack of stuck vehicles. But in my case it was probably that no one else was foolish enough (besides some snowmobiles) to be on those particular back roads.

Once on the more traveled paved roads I find the stuck people.

I see many threads about helping cars out of ditches, but I am often afraid of damaging their vehicle...Where do you hook up to some of these cars without the mid-point hook/sling rigs tow truck drivers use?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee

I have gone for a nice blizzard drive outside town and wondered the same thing about lack of stuck vehicles. But in my case it was probably that no one else was foolish enough (besides some snowmobiles) to be on those particular back roads.

Once on the more traveled paved roads I find the stuck people.

I see many threads about helping cars out of ditches, but I am often afraid of damaging their vehicle...Where do you hook up to some of these cars without the mid-point hook/sling rigs tow truck drivers use?
I used the front axle on all but the guy I pulled out twice. He was in a BMW suv ... And the entire underside rear was plastic..bmw should be embarrassed!!!!...we shoveled snow out from under and I finally got to some thick metal around the axle area..
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by NeverStock
...And the entire underside rear was plastic..bmw should be embarrassed!!!!...
Kudos on a great job helping people. This is what sets Jeepers apart from the rest of the world - real world help without any expectations of monetary gain.

That said, for future reference, most imports - BMW included, have a tow loop hook in the trunk, and a little spot on the front and rear bumper plastic that pops out, and the tow loop hook bolts in, for a recovery . Ask me how I know
Old 02-03-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
That said, for future reference, most imports - BMW included, have a tow loop hook in the trunk, and a little spot on the front and rear bumper plastic that pops out, and the tow loop hook bolts in, for a recovery . Ask me how I know
Yep that little plastic square looking thing on the bumpers....pulled out my parents BMW 328XI out last year...
Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

yeah the bmw's/ vw's/ audi's, and subaru's i know for sure have a little plastic square thay your take off, and then in the back somewhere there is a tow hook you screw on. pulled a subaru out with it recently

Quick Reply: My jeep might have saved 5 lives...