Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My JK was totaled today!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Unless you have receipts you are feked. If you do then you need to negotiate with them on the value. Will you get 100% back? no since the parts are used.

2. You need to ensure you get a payment for diminished value. This is the amount you lost because your vehicle has been wrecked. If you trade this in you will probably get 2500 to 4k less than s clean Jeep with no accidents would. I am no expert but on the Corvette boards I belong to, this is a common practice.

You had a vehicle that was not wrecked. Now you will have one that is repaired. I would sell it and collect the difference from the insurance company.

Do a search on the net for it. There are companies who will write a certified report for $500 or so and you can add that cost to the claim as well. Most will not charge you if your insurance company does not pay it.

This is only fair.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to the stealership this weekend to look for a new jeep. I'm looking for one exactly like the one I had, especially the color greystone pearl. I heard the color was discontinued. Is that true and if so, any ideas on where I can find one? Need a fully loaded Rubicon 2dr. I think it was the best color for a jeep.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepbozo
I'm going to the stealership this weekend to look for a new jeep. I'm looking for one exactly like the one I had, especially the color greystone pearl. I heard the color was discontinued. Is that true and if so, any ideas on where I can find one? Need a fully loaded Rubicon 2dr. I think it was the best color for a jeep.
Light Greystone Pearl was discontinued in favor of Detonator Yellow; it's my understanding that there are NO '08 JKs with Greystone paint. Best bet to find an exact replacement would be an online search... and you're probably going to have to settle for used, because '07 Rubicon models (2 or 4 doors) were in short supply... Good luck.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start thinking about what my 2nd favorite color is...
Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry it happened , but good that you're OK. Also nice to know out Jeeps are so tough. How did the truck fare? Was it messed up as bad as yours?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

truck was totalled but didn't take much. It as a piece of crap 70's vintage chevy. It's bumper went below mine so the jeep bumper pretty much wiped out the engine compartment on the truck.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got my truck back today after 3 weeks the replaced every aftermarket part
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

A drunk driver hit me
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have State Farm, and a real agent to talk to. They've always been good to me. I asked him about aftermarket parts and he said, save your receipts, and pictures help. He also said keep a diary of the time you spent installing parts yourself, because you can add labor.

However, this is when you're going after someone else with insurance. I doubt the heroin addict has anything to sue for. So it's up to your own coverage for uninsured driver.

Glad you're okay. Every Jeep I have ever owned I loved. I can't imagine losing one this way.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

I just went through this. My 05 LJ Sahara Rubicon was totaled, one down of 2000. I was hit head on by someone going the wrong way on a 4 lane roadway. Luckly, she had insurance. It took 2 months to get the money for the Jeep, still working on the injury claim 5 months later. Here is my advise:

1. Make a word document and start keeping track of everything and everyone you speak with. Keep phone numbers, policy numbers, claim numbers handy. I had a document about 10 pages long at the end.

2. The inusrance company will value your Jeep "as a whole". This is what they kept saying. You will have to fight to get anything for your mods. Look on the internet on how to write a demand letter. After 2 months and about 20 back and forths, I got about 60% of my mods. Their first offer was under KBB value. I got KBB plus 60% of my mods. If you have receipts great, if not get prices off somewhere like 4 wheel parts.

3. Go get anything you want off the Jeep, once they settle with you can not pull off anything.

4. Be careful of giving recorded statements.

5. If your Jeep has $15000 worth of damage consider fighting to get it totaled. They were going to repair mine at first. First est was $5500. I took it to a shop I just and guess what, everything was bent. Frame, axles, driveshafts, etc. Bring it to a shop that deals with 4x4 Jeeps or trucks. They resumitted the est, and they decided to total it. Remember with that kind of damage it will never be the same. If you are thinking about buying it back, settle on everything and then bring that part up.

When I get to my other computer I will post some pics of my transfer case that exploded and the bowed rear driveshaft. It was impressive.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

I just realized this was a very old thread, but it might be useful to someone.

Quick Reply: My JK was totaled today!!!