Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My New Trektop NX Leaks!!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Trektop NX Leaks!!

I've been digging the new Trektop NX, but then it rained. I have streaming leaks on both sides above the front doors near the header and ends of the drip gutter.

I called Bestop. They asked me to send pictures of the header and front door surround area. I should also check that everything is adjusted correctly - which I already did. I'll try again to see if the door surround has any play in it where I can tighten it down or pull it out some to be tighter against the door. I'll post pics when I get them.

I am very sure water is getting between the door surround and door weatherstrip. All my seals, rubber, and foam look good. The header is on tight. It's almost as if the rain gutter is too short and dropping the water in the wrong spot on the door. It should drip it onto the forward section where the weatherstripping has a tiny channel that sends the water down past the hinges. (That's what I've seen the hard top do). All I have to do to make it leak is send a little water down the rain gutter towards the front of the jeep.

Anyway... the leak sounds similar to posts I've read concerning the factory top. I really don't want to have to return this, so please help out if you can.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow you guys waited forever and a day to get these, and now another headache? That really sucks
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My factory soft top leaks, my factory hardtop leaks, actually my mpar bikini with the doors on leak less than any of them. All my jeeps I've on leaked some or after awhile leaked at some point. Just enjoy the top, it's a jeep.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
My factory soft top leaks, my factory hardtop leaks, actually my mpar bikini with the doors on leak less than any of them. All my jeeps I've on leaked some or after awhile leaked at some point. Just enjoy the top, it's a jeep.
LOL!! that's what i was about to say. every jeep i've owned has had a leaky hard or soft top and even people with regular convertable cars i know have leaky tops as well. sure, there are things you can do to help the problem out and in some cases, fix it but, when you have a top that comes on and off, you're bound to have some leaks. at least, that's been my experience anyway.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Vic
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
LOL!! that's what i was about to say. every jeep i've owned has had a leaky hard or soft top and even people with regular convertable cars i know have leaky tops as well. sure, there are things you can do to help the problem out and in some cases, fix it but, when you have a top that comes on and off, you're bound to have some leaks. at least, that's been my experience anyway.
That is very true!

My 2010 has not leaked "knock on WOOD!'' LOL

But I can imagine if i take off alot it could go that route.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an original trektop on my 2 dr and it has never leaked, was thinking about the new NX but i think i will now wait.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

A small leak I can deal with and wouldn't bother the forum about. This is a steady stream. Many are getting this new top and I'm hoping it's not a design problem that aftects everyone. If not maybe someone knows how to avoid it.

FWIW... it's almost like "the waterfall" when you open the door, but with the door closed.

Thanks.

Last edited by fivenote; 07-27-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I for one will go against the grain and say that sucks! I also would not accept a leak in a brand new after market top. It is one thing to say "relax and enjoy it" when you have a leak in a years old jeep OEM top. It is another to wait and wait for the latest and greatest and have it be an expensive water feature!

Hope they help out. I've always found them to be a decent company with respect to standing by their products...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mariner
I have an original trektop on my 2 dr and it has never leaked, was thinking about the new NX but i think i will now wait.
Same here. If its leaking around the door gasket, you gotta know there's a gap, or poorly mating joint. Sounds like you've inspected the surrounds and adjustments, the top and velcro attachment to the surround, etc. Is it possible, that your doors are sprung? Mine was doused in a torrential toad strangler, and didn't leak a drop. It was also warm. Is it possible your top hasn't stretched out yet, and is not fully draping over the door? Just throwing out random thoughts here
Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

My NX has held up fine so far through two or three major downpours. I have noticed that when you flip the front closed, sometimes the edge that is supposed to drop into the rain channel doesnt sit correctly and can fold behind it. That would allow water to get into the dry side fairly easily. Just give it a quick check before latching the header down and closing the doors.

And hey, we're lucky enough to be the first on the block with these brand new tops. Chances are there will be some kinks to work out. So far so good for me (knocks on wood... )

Quick Reply: My New Trektop NX Leaks!!